Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 31st, 2011 00:00

Laptop not functioning - HELP

I was loading some pictures off my camera onto my rarely used, 1 1/2 year old laptop.  A message came up saying battery was low, either recharge the battery or plug in.  (It was plugged in!)  Then the picture went blank.  If I tried to turn it back on, it promptly turned itself back off.  I bought a new plug in system, but when I turned it on, it said "Checking file system on C:  the type of the file system is NTFS.  One of your disks needs to be checked for consistency.  You may cancel the disk check, but it is strongly recommended that you continue.  To skip disk checking, press any key within 6/5/4/3/2/1 seconds."  I checked it every little bit, but the message stayed up.  Gave up checking, and looked back at it 6 hours later.  The screen was black, none of the keys would work, and the only way I could get it to turn off was to take out the battery on the back of it.  I turned it back on, but the same thing happened again.  Only this time, I pressed a key, but it didn't stop the "count down" to disk checking.  Repeated process, and this next time, pressed several keys - escape, etc..  Same results.  Any suggestions to how to get my computer working again?

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

July 31st, 2011 06:00

It sounds like your hard drive is toast. What you can do is to reboot if you can, F12 to run Dell Diagnostics.

No Events found!