Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 6th, 2017 17:00

Laptop only works when plugged in

Its only been the second day of me using my new laptop, and already I'm having a major problem with it.

My Dell Inspiron 15 7000 Gaming now only works when it is connected to the AC Adapter, and whenever I remove it, it turns off immediately.

It says that the laptop is charging, although it has been stuck on 93% for hours as of the time I am writing.

What is the solution to this problem?

Please reply as soon as possible.

Thanks.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

August 8th, 2017 22:00

Sounds like the charging circuit might be fried, which would prevent the battery from receiving more charge from the laptop and PROVIDING charge TO the laptop when the AC adapter is disconnected. I encountered my fair share of those when supporting hundreds of laptops at a previous job.  If you've got a warranty that includes on-site service, it's a pretty quick fix, or if you're having problems this early on, I imagine Dell would also allow you to exchange it for a brand new replacement, although that would of course take longer.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

August 8th, 2017 21:00

In the meantime, I suggest you check status of the AC adapter and Battery Health in the BIOS by following steps below:  

1. Power off system. Remove all peripherals except AC adapter.

2. Power on system, quickly start tapping F2 key continuous....

The AC adapter and Battery Health should listed in Battery Information. The adapter should say it's type, if it says unknown or None then it's a issue with the adapter. The battery health should say Excellent.

AC Adapter Not Powering on the Computer or Charging the ...

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

August 8th, 2017 21:00

:emotion-2:

Please list exact Dell model number; example: Dell Inspiron 15, 3543

If you don't know, type msinfo32 onto [Cortana] search box, and look for system model.

11 Posts

August 9th, 2017 05:00

Update:

This problem no longer occurs. Now my laptop is working fine, after I had nearly drained the battery, and now, it's working fine and is no longer dependent on the AC Adapter.

Thank you everyone for suggesting solutions.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

August 9th, 2017 07:00

:emotion-2:

Glad your computer is fix now. Thanks for the update.

11 Posts

August 9th, 2017 08:00

Update 2: Laptop is showing problems again. Will try suggestions now.

11 Posts

August 9th, 2017 09:00

The battery is said to be excellent, and the Ac Adapter is 130 Watts. And the problem arose again after I closed the lid of my laptop while playing a video game.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

August 9th, 2017 09:00

Good to know the battery health is excellent and the adapter says it's type. Please type msinfo32 onto [Cortana] search box, and look for system model, I'll need the exact Dell model number to look it up. By the way, does the computer work without the AC adapter connected to the system? Is the DC jack loose?

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

August 9th, 2017 10:00

Good. Thanks...

11 Posts

The Laptop is now working properly again, as in doesn't depend on the AC adapter, after leaving it alone for a while. And no, the DC jack is not loose.

Also, under System Model, it says Inspiron 15 7000 Gaming.

11 Posts

That quote is no longer the case for me,

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

Deleted.....

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

Since the problem occurred after playing a video game, I suggest you update the Video drivers and some of the other drivers as well.

First:

Installing drivers through Windows Update - Type Setting onto  search box, click Update And Security, and select "Check for Updates". Install any available updates and restart your PC if required.

Second:

Run the Guide Me option in your Dell Product Support page. The tool will automatically detect driver updates (Chipset,Video) for your system. Please follow instructions to run Guide Me option in the link below.

How to Find Drivers and Update Them (Official Dell Tech ...

11 Posts

My drivers are updated and windows has no new update,

11 Posts

August 10th, 2017 06:00

Update 3: My Laptop was fine, but then it shut down automatically, and needed to be charged, despite having 55% of remaining battery.

No Events found!