Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 31st, 2012 14:00

Laptop screen flickering- pink and green!

Hey!

So my laptop- dell inspiron n4030... which is barely a year old started flickering like crazy and the screen has gone all pink and green!

i have no idea as to what caused this as it was working perfectly until now!

help please!

1.1K Posts

May 31st, 2012 15:00

Hi Deepsh

Welcome to the Community.

Could you please check if your system’s screen flickers at the Dell logo which appears as soon as you turn on your system?

You may also check your system by connecting an external monitor.

Also, please check your system’s screen by entering “Safe mode”. Please find below the steps to boot into “Safe Mode”.

• Please restart your system and keep tapping “F8” as soon as the Dell logo appears.

• Highlight “Safe mode” and press “Enter”.

Kindly reply back once you done the above mentioned steps.

Vikram Makkar

Social Outreach Professional

You can reach us at http://en.community.dell.com/

2 Posts

June 1st, 2012 02:00

hey!

Thanks for the prompt reply!

I followed your instructions and logged into safe mode... however, the display was still flickering in pink n green shades!

and yes, the screen does flicker at the dell logo in the beginning as well!

1.1K Posts

June 4th, 2012 10:00

Hi Deepsh

Thank you for your efforts.

Please add me as a friend by clicking on my ID "DELL-Vikram M" and personal message me your system's service tag, your contact number, alternate contact nunber and the best time to reach you along with your time zone. If your system is still within warranty, we will go ahead and replace the screen of your system to get this issue fixed.

Glad to assist you!

Vikram Makkar

Social Outreach Professional

You can reach us at http://en.community.dell.com/

1 Message

September 2nd, 2012 15:00

Hey i have the same problem, my insipron is less than a year old as well and the screen has gone pink and green as well....everything else is working fine! 

1.1K Posts

September 3rd, 2012 08:00

Hi annabelle1985

The screen flickering can be caused due to operating system issues or the LCD/video card failure. To isolate the same, restart your system and keep tapping “F2” key as soon as the Dell logo appears. The system will enter the BIOS (system setup). Check if the screen flickers in BIOS.

If the screen flickers in BIOS, run the diagnostics on your system:

• Restart your system and keep tapping “F12” key as soon as the Dell logo appears.
  • Select “Diagnostics” using the arrow keys and press enter.
  • Please check if the screen flickers while running the diagnostics. Also, please let me know if you get any error code/message from the diagnostics.

If the screen is not flickering in BIOS, you may try the following steps:

1. Run MS Fix-It : Solve Windows display quality issues : http://support.microsoft.com/mats/Windows_Display_Quality_Diagnostics/
  2. You can also connect an external monitor and see if video is flickering on an external monitor.

If the above steps do not fix the issue, uninstall and re install the video driver:

• Click on “Start” and right click on “Computer”.
  • Click on “Manage”.
  • Click on “Device Manager”.
  • Under “Display adapters”, you will find the video driver listed.
  • Right click on it and click on “uninstall”. (Check the video driver installed on your system and re-install the video driver from the below steps accordingly).
  • Check the box to delete the software.
  • Restart your system and click on the below link:

http://dell.to/OukFUO

• Enter the Service Tag of your system and select the operating system.
  • You will find the video driver under “Video”.
  • Click on the video driver depending on the video card your system has. (Install the same video driver which you uninstalled from “Device Manager”.
  • Click on “Download File”.
  • Select “For Single File Download via Browser”.
  • Click on “Download Now”.
  • Save the driver on your desktop.
  • Once the driver is saved on desktop, right click on it and select “Run as administrator”.
  • Install the video driver by following the on screen instructions.

Check if the issue is resolved or not. If the issue still persists, update the system BIOS:

• Click on the below link:

http://dell.to/OukFUO

• Enter the Service Tag of your system and select the operating system.
  • Go to “BIOS” and click on the BIOS available.
  • Click on “Download File”.
  • Select “For Single File Download via Browser”.
  • Click on “Download Now”.
  • Save the BIOS on your desktop.
  • Once the BIOS is downloaded on the desktop, right click on it and select “Run as administrator”.

Note: Make sure the ac adapter is connected and the battery is charged 10% or above to update the BIOS. Also, disconnect all the external peripherals before updating the BIOS.

• Update the BIOS by following the on screen instructions.

Keep me posted with the results. Please reply if you have any questions.

1 Message

December 20th, 2012 00:00

I have dell inspiron mini 1018...i was making some movie at Windows Movie Makie Maker at that time....Suddenly..it slowly changed to green effect and produce a sound like a tv signal.I feel scared when i  heard that sound and the green screen effect...I was shut down my netbook and the green screen become whole of the screen...I startup again and the whole green screen appears with no dell logo and nothing apperas except the whole green screen only.What i should i do with that?Please help me.....?

1.1K Posts

December 20th, 2012 00:00

Hi Edryized,

What is the power light status? Do you hear anything when you turn on the system? Please connect an external monitor with your system and see if that works fine.

Note: Press + to swicth the display to an external monitor. In case it does not work, you may press only .

Keep me posted. Please reply for any further questions.

1 Message

March 10th, 2014 21:00

Hi. I am Kannan

My laptop is 2 years old , It been occurred as pink and green lines.

I tried all the above steps and the screen is still had the same lines

1 Message

May 6th, 2014 10:00

I am also experiencing this problem with my dell laptop and followed your steps. My screen was still flickering in BOIS and when I restarted again and kept pressing F12 it never came up with a diagnostic screen...it went straight to the user screen. What could be the issue with this problem? Thank you! 

1 Message

June 3rd, 2015 11:00

I am hoping I can chime in on this message...

My wife's 17" Dell laptop started the green screen from DELL logo recently.

The image resolution has also went very bad.  I will try your recommended tonight. If it does not help what is my recourse?

Steve W

1 Message

June 16th, 2015 15:00

hi their i am having the same problems and the screen is still pink and green in the bios( could it be possible that its the lcd it self or the mb to lcd display cord cause when i connect an external monitor it works perfectly fine  

January 11th, 2016 23:00

I followed all the steps you stated and the pink on white and green on black on my screen still persists. Any suggestions on what else may be wrong/damaged? My laptop is a Dell Vostro 5560.

1 Message

April 8th, 2016 00:00

Im also having the same display flickering issue.. but it works fine wen i restart the laptop.. dnt know whether the issue is with the LED screen or driver.. need ur help

April 13th, 2016 12:00

Hi Jose,

This happened to me twice. I'm not sure what causes it, but I've figured out how to fix it each time. Just call the Dell Service Center number in your country and they can link you the compatible video card drivers which you can install. Initially, you can try to do the built in LCD test and overall check up by yourself, just to know if your laptop has a hardware or software problem. To be able to do these check ups for your laptop, make sure your laptop is plugged in or has an external power source.

STEP 1: Turn off your computer

CHECK UP (HARDWARE, SOFTWARE, ETC):

STEP 2: Hold the "Fn" button and simultaneously press the power button (while still holding down the "Fn" button)

STEP 3: Take a photo of the results which you can email to your Dell Service helper once you call them

LCD TEST (A SERIES OF FULL SCREEN COLORS WILL APPEAR): 

STEP 2: Hold the "D" button and simultaneously press the power button (while still holding down the "D" button)

STEP 3: Take note of the full white screen and full black screen if they still turn pink and have green speckles respectively. Or if anything else seems out of the ordinary.

Fyi, updating your drivers with the latest versions as stated on the Dell website and NVidia control panel doesn't always fix this problem. This is because the latest versions do not automatically mean they're compatible with either your laptop OS or hardware. It's always best to ask help from the Dell hotline. They usually just email you a download link of the driver you can install. Hope this helps!

1 Message

April 18th, 2016 22:00

Hi i got pink and green screen and i followed the steps.were mentioned i got. Error code 2000 0131 and btw my external battery is not installed

No Events found!