Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 16th, 2015 12:00

Laptop screen flickering (probably related to nvidia)

My laptop is flickering a black screen, or holds a black screen in place when high contrast videos and images are visible to large parts of the screen (or at least that's what I've gathered). Although I've found ways of working around this temporarily, it's not very sustainable. For the record, I've tried methods mentioned in many forums but haven't had much success.  I would love for some advice please. Thank you so much in advance!

Windows 8.1

Dell Inspiron 17inch 5000 series

8gb ram

Intel i7 processor

NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

April 17th, 2015 01:00

Hi JoshMoxey,

We will have to perform the ‘LCD BIST’ (Built in Self-test) on the computer. Please follow the steps mentioned below to run the “LCD BIST’.

1. Turn of the computer.
  2. Press and hold down the ‘D’ key on the keyboard and press the Power button.
  3. You will see different colors on the LCD screen. Please check if the issue reoccurs on the screen.

In addition, please connect the system to an external monitor and check if the issue reoccurs.

4 Posts

April 17th, 2015 11:00

Thanks for the response Ravi. I did the LCD BIST test, and while the colours were on the screen, there was no flickering.

I also do not have access currently to an additional screen.

Is there any other additional information I can give to you to clarify what the root cause is?

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

April 22nd, 2015 11:00

Hi JoshMoxey,

The LCD seems to be fine with external monitor we could have checked if the issue is related to video card or a software issue. Please boot into the BIOS (F2 during startup) and stay for some time on BIOS screen and check if issue reoccurs.

4 Posts

April 22nd, 2015 12:00

I stayed on that screen for just under 10 minutes and there were no flashes - it worked correctly. The issue reoccurred when I left that screen, restarted computer and went to windows start

5.2K Posts

April 22nd, 2015 14:00

Could be the video processor or the video driver. Go to the Nvidia site and download the latest driver for Win 8.1. If this doesn't help, you really need to check with an external monitor. The BIOS display does not use the video card, as the operating system and drivers have not yet loaded, so a clean BIOS display means nothing. You can use a TV as the external monitor, using an HDMI cable. Make sure you select the external monitor (or both) with the appropriate Function Key.

No Events found!