Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 13th, 2013 08:00

Laptop shuts down / crashes after closing lid - used to hibernate/sleep

Dell E6500 - few years old.  Now shuts down after closing the lid after several hours - at least when left closed over night - even when on AC power.  

This behavior is new as for the longest time it would simply go to sleep as desired.

The close lid behavior is still set to sleep.    It must power down hard because when I lift the lid in the morning, Windows 7 wants to recover from unexpected shutdown.

Again, this happens after the lid is closed for some time while on AC power.   Frustrating as it is used to sleep and would wake up when I needed it to.

943 Posts

March 13th, 2013 09:00

Hi,

Please visit www.support.dell.com and download and install the latest video drivers and BIOS for your system from the Drivers and Downloads page. You must select the correct version of Operating System and then update relevant drivers.

Alternately, you can also click on the link mentioned below for the Drivers & Downloads Home page  :

http://dell.to/QjjZDA

Please ensure you do not have any external devices like a Printer, external hard drive, etc. connected to the system when updating BIOS. Also, please remove any dvd disks which may be in the DVD Drive prior to the BIOS update. The AC Adapter must be connected to the system during the update.  

Hope this helps resolve the issue for you.

Please reply in case you have any further queries.

Thanks and regards,
Prateek_K
#iworkfordell 

For easy access to drivers, manuals and product updates, please visit our Support Site. 

943 Posts

March 13th, 2013 11:00

Hi,

Thank you for your reply.

I request you to click on the link below and download the latest video drivers from our Support website as Windows Updates may not update the drivers as required.

Also, please let me know the Windows Operating System you have on your System.

Awaitng your response.

Thanks and regards,
Prateek_K
#iworkfordell 

For easy access to drivers, manuals and product updates, please visit our Support Site. 

24 Posts

March 13th, 2013 11:00

I do have the latest bios A27 (have had for some time).   I have all the latest drivers from Windows update.   Like I mentioned - this just started happening.

24 Posts

March 14th, 2013 14:00

Already had the latest video drivers as all.   The behavior has changed.   The computer is crashing at some point while entering or exiting sleep mode.

943 Posts

March 15th, 2013 08:00

Hi,

Thank you for your reply.

Please let me know if you have integrated graphics or a discrete video card on your  Dell E6500. Also, does it have a webcam?

In case the system has an NVIDIA video card, I would recommend you un-install the driver, reboot the system and then install the relevant driver from the NVIDIA website.

If your system has a webcam, I would request you to follow the steps mentioned below:

Rollback your webcam driver by going to Start > Control Panel > System>Hardware > Device Manager

Then expand Imaging Devices > double click Integrated Webcam > go to Driver > hit Rollback Driver

In case the above-mentioned option is not available, please go Dell Support website and download the driver manually. The link to Dell Support website is given below:

Hope this is helpful.

Please let me know if you have any further queries.

Thanks and regards,
Prateek_K
#iworkfordell 

24 Posts

March 15th, 2013 13:00

No web camera.   The laptop has dedicated Nvidia card - Quadro NVS 160M.     Uninstalled video driver and downloaded/installed latest from Nvidia site.  Laptop still crashes when going to sleep :(

943 Posts

March 16th, 2013 06:00

Hi,

Please check you have ample free space on your hard drive. The system needs about 2GB free space for hibernation/standby. There is a Hiberfil.sys which is a hidden file located in the root folder of the drive where Windows is installed. The Windows Kernel Power Manager creates this file when you install Windows. The size of the file is approximately equal to the amount of Random Access Memory ( RAM ) installed on your computer.   

The computer uses the Hiberfil.sys file to store a copy of the system memory on the hard disk when hibernation is turned on. If this file is not present, the computer cannot go into hibernation.

Kindly let me know the Windows Operating System you are using. Below is a link for frequently asked questions on sleep/hibernating in Windows 7.

http://bit.ly/XJGpXc

Please let me know if you have any further queries. 

Thanks and regards,
Prateek_K
#iworkfordell 

24 Posts

March 26th, 2013 08:00

Windows 7 Ultimate.   And I created plenty of free space.  Laptop crashes in Hibernate ... It is ok when Sleeping.

24 Posts

April 16th, 2013 08:00

It appears it was a root kit virus.   The TDSSKiller Rootkit Removal Tool helped me out.

1 Message

May 26th, 2013 21:00

Please Help me to solve this problem. I am also facing the same problem.

I have set the system to hibernate whenever i close the lid. But it always goes shut down.

I have Dell inspiron n5110.

1.3K Posts

June 4th, 2013 10:00

Hi aleen.tahir,

Please download the latest Bios, chipset and video drivers from the below link.

(Key in the service tag and the appropriate operating system to download the drivers)

Keep us posted on the outcome.

2 Posts

February 25th, 2014 01:00

service tag <ADMIN NOTE: Service tag removed as per privacy policy> ,windows 7 home premium:

My computer crashes when it goes to sleep regardless of the lid's position. This happened after a clean windows install and a replacement of the hard drive on my dell n5010 in the dell service center. All my drivers are up to date. I notice in the bluescreen troubleshooter logs that there is a different reason for the crash everytime.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

February 25th, 2014 02:00

Ahmedt,

Restart the computer and press F12 at startup. Run the full diagnostics and report back any error messages.

Rick

2 Posts

February 25th, 2014 09:00

i ran the diagnostics and no error was mentioned, yet the computer continues to crash upon waking from sleep.

1 Message

June 11th, 2015 11:00

I also had the same problem with my Dell lap top and did every possible thing to fix it but nothing worked. Finally I found that it is because of the drivers I installed for my DVI to USB adaptor. When I uninstalled it my lap top went back to normal.

No Events found!