Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 16th, 2017 19:00

Laptop shuts down immediately after waking from sleep

My laptop is brand new, Dell Inspiron 17 7779. All software and firmware is up to date.

The laptop goes to sleep fine, but when I wake it up, it immediately shuts down. Does anybody know how to fix this?

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

September 17th, 2017 11:00

How are you putting it to sleep?  Closing the lid or actually selecting Sleep from the Start menu?  And when you say it shuts down, do you mean it actually resumes Windows and then executes a graceful Windows shutdown, or does it wake up momentarily and then immediately just power off completely?

4 Posts

September 17th, 2017 15:00

I'm putting it to sleep by all of those methods: 1) closing the lid, 2) pushing the power button, 3) selecting Sleep from the Start menu. It wakes up, let's me sign in (using a PIN), and then executes a graceful Windows 10 shutdown.

4 Posts

September 19th, 2017 21:00

This is the error in the event viewer:

The system was shut down due to a critical thermal event.            

Shutdown Time = ‎2017‎-‎09‎-‎20T02:35:01.417603900Z            

ACPI Thermal Zone = Intel(R) Dynamic Platform Thermal Framework            

_CRT = 360K

This seems like an obvious bug, since there shouldn't be a "critical thermal event" when the machine is just waking up.

489 Posts

September 20th, 2017 01:00

Check temperatures using HWinfo64, it may be on the edge all the time? If they are high, check if the cooling fins are clogged with dust, or repaste.

Sleep issues are sometimes cured by reflashing BIOS (can be the same version).

4 Posts

September 20th, 2017 10:00

If it was on the edge all the time, then one would expect it to shutdown randomly while working on it. It only shuts down after just waking up from sleep.

It's a brand new computer. There is no dust, and the fan works fine. I have already updated the BIOS to the latest version. It happens for both BIOS images.

This happens every single time regardless of how long it's been on. It's perfectly reproducible. Put it to sleep using any method, wake it from sleep using any method, and then it gracefully shuts down immediately with the error given in my previous message logged in the event viewer.

9.4K Posts

September 21st, 2017 04:00

Hi reasonet,

Thanks for posting.

Since this is a recent purchase, you should still have warranty on the system.  Please run a systems diagnostics test by pressing F12 during startup, make a note of any errors encountered, and call Tech support for further troubleshooting, and possible repair.

No Events found!