Martin S.
1 Nickel

Laptop will not start - no boot screen

Hi,

I was using my laptop (a Dell XPS M1730 with XP x64) just fine yesterday, no issues, all working as it should; not Dell's most recent but was still running MS FS2004 OK. Then turned it off and tried to boot an hour later. It will not start..

The disc activity indicator flashes once or twice, but stops after a few seconds. The case lights come on, and so do lights on gaming peripherals attached by USB. But the screen stays black. No splash screen at all..

What does this indicate? It's not the screen per se, as I can see there's no disc activity after the first few seconds. If the disc had died, or the M/B, I would still get a splash screen, wouldn't I? (Maybe not with a M/B failure??). If the CMOS battery needs replacing, I thought I'd get an option to carry on booting with the F1 key for a while.

I am abroad with very few tools to deal with this (no O/S disc here with me for example). Just wondered if anyone knows what the lack of splash/boot screens would indicate?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
9 Rhodium

RE: Laptop will not start - no boot screen

Unplug the system and remove the battery.  Disconnect all external peripherals.

Hold the power button for 30 seconds.  Remove and reinstall both memory modules.

Try powering up on AC only.  If it'll power up, one by one, install

1.  The battery - try again.

2.  Your external peripherals, one at a time

Repeat until you find the device that's stopping the system from powerup.

If the system WILL NOT power up on bare-bones configuration, open up the system and reseat the video card (disconnect and reconnect it).

If the system still won't power up, you either have a bad video card or a bad mainboard. 

0 Kudos
Martin S.
1 Nickel

Reseating the memory didn't help. I did run the Dell Diagnostics though - nothing onscreen, but some kind person told me that if you hold down the mute button as you press power on, that runs diagnostics.

I have been having issues some time with the laptop completely freezing up when FS9 and an explorer window are open on the desktop... perhaps that is an indication that the graphics card was failing? I haven't had chance to open up the machine yet - I will probably just give it to a local repair shop (I live in Sri Lanka at the moment - they are relatively cheap here at least!).

I took a short video of the result:

https://mega.co.nz/#!DkBUiCyC!aMKnJO...uJChGRQnmkmFNI

I don't know what this means as yet - will have to Google it, but no doubt someone here knows.

\

Thanks again.

0 Kudos
Martin S.
1 Nickel

The sequence of lights and beeps in the video link is then repeated (the video shows the full sequence).

0 Kudos
Martin S.
1 Nickel

Member with 108 posts.

1 Minute Ago, #7

If that light and beep sequence is 3.3.1, as per here, under 'Computer Beep Codes':

http://en.community.dell.com/support...agnostic-chart

that would confirm a NVRAM power loss? Is "3.3.1" what I am hearing there?

"Nvram power loss" means a new M/B, or what exactly? :-(

MEGA deleted my upload, showing the beep sequence, as 'infringing copyright' (??!). It's here now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ze-E...ature=youtu.be

0 Kudos