Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 23rd, 2014 07:00

Laptop will not turn-on on a full battery. AC adapter light goes off when plugged in laptop, and laptop won't power on.

Environment: Dell Inspiron 14, Windows 7.

Problem description:
Battery at 100% full. Windows hibernated the laptop. AC adapter was taken off the wall.  (note: Laptop was working flawlessly since purchase - a year ago).

1. When plugging AC adapter into the wall, nothing happens, laptop does not power on, no lights (on front left of laptop) go on.
  2. When AC adapter is disconnected from laptop, and plugged into the wall, the AC adapter's light turns on, but - as soon as the AC adapter is plugged into the laptop, the AC adapter light turns off and nothing is happening on the laptop: no lights are on and power-on does not start.
  3. Trying to start the laptop with just the buttery (which was full a few hours ago) produce same results as in 2 above, nothing is starting and no lights are turning on.
  4. Taking the battery off and trying to start the laptop without it, produces same negative results as in 2 above.

My analysis: 
Seems to me that since the AC adapter light does go on when it's not connected to the laptop, the AC adapter is not the culprit.

Likewise, since the battery was okay last night (it would keep the laptop working for longer than two hours) and there were no events that could damage it physically, the battery should not be blamed also.

Thus, the clues point to something in the laptop itself.

Questions:

1. Do you have similar experience with Dell laptops: what cased your problem?
  2. Or, from your experience, what may cause my non powering-on laptop?

July 31st, 2015 05:00

DELL INSPIRON 3421

Same experience. same scenario. the ac adapter has a light on it but when it is inserted to the laptop's socket, the light goes out and laptop does not turn on.

i tried to remove the battery and press the power button for around 30 secs, to release the charge they say, and put it back and press on. still, no signal of life for my laptop.

so i went to a dell stall in a mall, though they don't provide service, the good guy employee tried to fix it. he open it and test everything.

sad to say, he concluded that the main problem is the motherboard.

now my question is, can i use the motherboard of same DELL INSPIRON 3421 but with different specs (processor, memory, etc.)?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

July 31st, 2015 07:00

If you haven't yet tried replacing the power jack, that's worth a shot before replacing the system board:

< >

If that doesn't do it, any 5421/3421 board should work - with one exception:   if you change from Intel to nvidia or nVidia to Intel video, you'll need a new heatsink assembly.  The version that fits the Intel-video board won't fit the nVIdia board and vice-versa.

2 Posts

October 21st, 2015 20:00

I purchased three (3) Dell 15000 series one after another. Two failed after about 2 weeks of use, and the 3rd failed right out of the box. Two had this power adapter recognition problem, after about two weeks. The 3rd just wouldn't turn on right of the box. The techs at Office depot in San Jose ruled out the power adapter as we substituted a new one. Isn't Dell testing these laptops anymore? I lost one month of loading software, Window 10, MS office, photoshop and many others. After the 3rd failure I went back to good old toshiba. They don't handle a drop very well but work until you drop it. Something I can't say for that junk that Dell is shipping now. I had a Dell inspirion about 10 years ago. Great equipment. They should recall that retired technician and fire the current one. Additionally I lost about $200 above the price of the Dell junkers.

Burnt by Dell and Never again.  Good bye Dell.

2 Posts

November 27th, 2015 11:00

Thanks for the feedback.

I experience the same problem on Lattitude  E6410 a couple of days ago:

- indicator on battery shows full

- plug in AC adapter to wall and green led lights up

- plus in other end to laptop and green led goes out

- laptop does nothing when I push the power button (even on battery without ac adapter)

Now looking for solution...

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

November 27th, 2015 12:00

There's a short circuit somewhere in the system.  First thing to try is replacing the DC power jack:

< >

If it's not that, then the mainboard needs to be replaced.

2 Posts

November 28th, 2015 07:00

Thx, ejn63. The first thing we did at the store was change the charger.  No help. The PC lasts about 2 weeks, just enough time to load all your software before, the power problem happens.  This happened with 2 replacements. The 3rd wouldn't even turn on straight from the box. The 4th time my new TOSHIBA worked fine and I am typing this note on it. One bad Dell I could understand, but 3 in a row. The Office Depot store is now testing all Dells. I will never go back to Dell, except to pickup the $200 or more that they cost me over the cost the PC. They are pure JUNK!!

No Events found!