Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 22nd, 2015 02:00

Laptop won't boot: Error code 0xc000000d and recovery disk doesn't work

Hello. I've got a brand new XPS 15 running windows 8. It worked fine for 3 months, but now suddenly whenever I try to switch it on it won't boot. The error message says "Your PC needs to be repaired. The Boot configuration data file is missing some required information. file : \BCD. Error code 0xc000000d"

I went into the UEFI boot options. I turned secure boot off, and enabled legacy boot. This allowed me set 1st boot priority to USB. However when I plug in my USB external drive (on which I had created my recovery disk when I first got my laptop, like a good boy) it says "No operating system found". I guess that means my emergency receovery disk wasn't created properly?

What can I do to get my PC to boot up, please? The UEFI gives me the option to select a file to boot from. I can see the files on my hard drive from this option, but I don't know what a bootable file looks like. Can I get a USB boot disk for somewhere else? I live in the UK. Thanks for your help.

2 Posts

March 23rd, 2015 02:00

I solved this problem by creating a new system recovery disk from a friends machine. My PC booted from that recovery disk with no problem and it repaired itself.

No Events found!