Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 18th, 2012 17:00

Laptop won't turn on with dead battery/AC adapter plugged in

Hello! Recently, the battery died on my Dell Studio 1558 but the AC adapter still works fine. The green LED on it lights up and it does on the laptop as well. So I'm sure it's getting power. I even bought a new one from my local Best Buy today and that didn't work.

My question is, how do I get the laptop to power on for more than a few seconds before it shuts down on me? There's no reason I should have the battery working for it to turn on.

565 Posts

December 18th, 2012 17:00

Hi ghost712,

Disconnect the battery from the computer and power on the computer only with AC adapter. Check if it computer powered on for a longer time.

If yes, we can perform few troubleshooting steps to isolate the issue:

1. Remove static power (if any) from the computer.
  2. To remove the static power, disconnect the AC adapter and battery from the computer, then press the power button for 10-15 seconds.
  3. Power on the computer with only AC adapter connected to the computer and tap F2 key repeatedly at Dell logo to enter the BIOS.
  4. Under Main Tab please check the AC adapter type (that is if it says 65W/90W or anything else).
  5. Then power off the computer and unplug the AC adapter from the wall, and from the portable computer, for five to ten seconds.
  6. Make sure the AC adapter is unplugged long enough for the LED on the AC Adapter to go out altogether.
  7. Connect the adapter and the battery to the computer then power on the computer.

Please post the results.

3 Posts

December 18th, 2012 19:00

Hey Madhur! Thanks for the prompt reply. I removed the battery and tried powering it on and now it doesn't power on at all.

I put the battery back in and it powered on for a few seconds and went out on me.

I tried the new AC adapter I bought and got the same result.

565 Posts

December 18th, 2012 20:00

Hi ghost712,

When the AC adapter is connected to the computer, is there any LED on the adapter?

If the LED on the AC adapter is off, then it is an issue with the port where the AC adapter connects to the computer.

You can check the warranty status here. In case of expired warranty scenario, we would not be able to extend warranty entitled services. If the warranty on the computer has expired, you may contact our Expired Warranty Team.  (this is for US based customers).

If the computer is in warranty, I request you to private message the system service tag number. To private message, accept my friend request; click on my user name and click start conversation.

For any clarifications feel free to contact me.

3 Posts

December 18th, 2012 20:00

The green LED lights up on the adapter. The warranty is expired as I purchased it in 2010. Would you still like to take this to a private conversation?

565 Posts

December 18th, 2012 21:00

Hi ghost712,

With the message that you have sent, I understand that there is a green LED on the AC adapter when it is connected to the computer.

The reason for the private message was to replace the parts if the computer was in warranty. As the computer has inactive warranty, please contact the Expired Warranty Team, as the issue is with the port on the computer where the adapter connects.

For any clarifications feel free to contact me.

565 Posts

December 22nd, 2012 00:00

Hi ghost712,

Unfortunately we have not received feedback from you on this topic. If you need continued support, please write back to us. Other community members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread.

February 6th, 2013 20:00

Hi Madhur,

I have a dell Studio 1558, all of a sudden the battery won't charge and the charging LED on the computer won't glow. I removed the battery and the laptop works fine with the AC adapter. Since the battery life was at the end, I bought a new battery from local store and replaced it, still the battery won't get charged but the computer turns on with the power on battery only.  Please advise on the issue.

Thanks,

Sree

2 Posts

August 20th, 2013 01:00

hi i am faisal. i have bought new dell ins 3521 laptop few days ago. now i am facing a problem... problem is my laptop is not charging even if i connect the ac adapter..  i have also checked BIOS settings .. i saw a message "ac adapter not detected" can you help me urgently........ i am waiting thanks..

3.3K Posts

August 20th, 2013 03:00

Hi faisaljutt,

Refer the following link for   troubleshooting Adapter not charging the battery:

http://dell.to/ZbIDbk

Awaiting your response!

2 Posts

August 20th, 2013 11:00

hi, sir my laptop is under warranty i have bought it just 15 days ago from riyadh saudi arabia and i claimed to your franchise in lahore,pakistan but they are saying that it is international warranty, it does not accepted in pakistan. and they are saying that it is a problem of charging circuit . for this purpose they are demanding money. kindly tell me the solution..... as soon as possible...

3.3K Posts

August 26th, 2013 10:00

Hi faisaljutt,

Kindly private message me the service tag of the computer. To private message the service tag click my User name and click Start conversation.

Awaiting your response!

1 Message

October 29th, 2013 19:00

Hello

If the battery has been telling you for a while it is not working correctly - is it likely that my battery has died and that is why the laptop won't turn on?

The first fault I had was it was not recognising my user profile, so I decided to rebot and now it won't swtich on?  Should I try your memthosof removing the battery all together?

Thank you in advance

Nikki

1 Message

June 28th, 2014 11:00

This worked for me. Thank you 

March 20th, 2016 11:00

So glad I could find this answer.  Its the same answer for the most part I have seen when I've neglected my lap top battery and let it die.  This works!.  Only difference from other posts is your #2 and #3 which I didn't quite understand and didn't use.

July 12th, 2017 12:00

Hello I am Rifas Ahamed

I supposed to face issue which similar to your post. According to your given solution, I followed your steps. As first check was possitive, I carried out following steps. But with respect to step 3, while trIed to power on laptop with AC POWER ADAPTOR, LAPTOP WAS NOT POWER ON. I NOTICED THAT INDICATOR ON CHARGER WAS BLINKED FOR A WHILE AND GOT INTO POWER OFF...

WHAT TO DO?

THANK YOU

No Events found!