Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 13th, 2013 20:00

Laptop wont turn off

Hey guys, 

Laptop recently started playing up.

I'm using a Inspiron 15R N5110.

If I turn the laptop off by going: Start, turn off, the display turns off but I can hear the fans still running. The only to turn it off is to hold down the power button.

Also if I shut my laptop lid the screen turns off but once again the fans are still running(doesn't go into to sleep mode). If I then re-open my laptop the display doesn't turn back on I have to hold the power button and then turn it back on.

Any help would be appreciated. 

Thanks Ethan 

3.1K Posts

March 13th, 2013 21:00

Hi Ethan,

I would suggest you to run the diagnostics on the computer to check the hardware functionality.

Restart the computer, press 'F12'  key on the Dell logo -> Select ‘Diagnostics’ from the boot menu -> Please refer to the link if any error code shows up http://dell.to/OUGnqT

You may try to boot the system in Safe Mode and check:

Power off the computer -> restart the computer, tap 'F8' key on Dell logo 2-3 times -> this will take you to ‘Windows Advanced Boot Options’ -> choose ‘Safe Mode’ in the Advanced Boot menu (use ‘up’ or ‘down’ arrow keys to highlight the option, press ‘enter’ to select)  -> when Windows finishes loading in Safe mode, check if you are able to shut the system down.

The above steps to boot into Safe Mode are for Windows 7 operating system. Let me know if you are using a different operating system.

Please reply if yo have any questions.

March 13th, 2013 21:00

Hi,

Tried both those steps.

The diagnostics option didn't return any errors.

When I put my computer into to safe mode and tried to shut it down, it sat on the shutting down screen(blue screen) and didn't turn off.

Thanks, Ethan

3.1K Posts

March 13th, 2013 23:00

Hi Ethan,

Thank you for the response. I would suggest you to disable the start up items and check if the issue persists. Press and hold the Windows key and press 'R' key. This will open the run window -> Type 'msconfig' without the parenthesis, click on 'Ok' -> This will open the System Configuration windows. Click on the Start up tab and uncheck  all the options listed (except Dell Quickset and Antivirus).

You may watch the video on 'Stop Startup Programs with MSCONFIG'.

Please reply if you have any questions.

March 14th, 2013 00:00

Hi,

Still no luck, just sped up my start-up time :p

I did the same but with the 'Services' tab and no luck there either.

Quite annoying.

Thanks, Ethan

3.1K Posts

March 14th, 2013 03:00

Hi Ethan,

It could be upsetting not to be able to use the computer properly. Since the diagnostics has passed and the issue persists, it is advisable to perform PC restore, which means taking the computer back to factory defaults to eradicate any software issues.

Note: This step leads to complete data loss including pictures, music files, videos, documents and applications. Please disconnect any external peripherals as well. I would suggest you backup the data on your computer.

To perform PC restore:

• Restart PC, press 3-4 times when the Dell logo appears.
  • Advanced Boot Options menu appears, ‘Repair your Computer' is highlighted, press Enter. (Use the arrow keys to highlight your choice)
  • Windows is loading files screen appears. Wait for it to load.
  • System Recovery Options prompt appears. Specify the language and keyboard input that you want, and then click ‘Next’.
  • Log in as a user who has administrative credentials; select the username from the drop-down list, type the password and click OK.
  • Choose a Recovery Tool Window appears, select Dell Data Safe Restore and Emergency Backup.
  • The Welcome screen will show 2 options; Restore computer and preserve my new or changed files and Select other System Backup and more options. Select the second option (Select other System Backup and more options) and click Next.
  • The next window shows these options; Backup Files and folders and Restore my computer. Select ‘Restore my computer’.
  • Select the Factory Image and click ‘Next’.
  • The next window shows 2 options; 'Preserve new or changed files before restoring to selected System Backup' and 'Restore without preserving new or changed files'. Select the second option (Restore without preserving new or changed files) and click Next.
  • A prompt appears stating that your computer is about to be restored all data currently on your computer will be deleted and replaced with your selected Full System Backup. If an Emergency File & Folder Backup was created, it will still be saved at the location you selected. Click 'Yes, continue' and click Next.
  • PC restore will initiate. Once done, click Restart.
  • Follow the onscreen instructions to create a user account

You may refer the link for more information http://dell.to/Wj1rZe

March 14th, 2013 04:00

Hi,

Got up to 'Choose a recovery tool' screen then what follow were 5 options:

Startup Repair

System Restore

System Image Recovery

Windows Memory Diagnostic

Command Prompt

No Dell Data Safe Restore and Emergency Backup option.

Should I choose another option?

Even though I've tried most of them before, as I tried to do a factory settings restore and couldn't find out how.

Cheers Ethan

3.1K Posts

March 17th, 2013 00:00

Hi Ethan,

Thank you for the response. If you have created the recovery discs for your computer, you may try to perform a clean installation of the operating system. You may follow the steps mentioned in this article http://dell.to/Qe7jyP

1 Message

February 24th, 2017 11:00

Hello everyone.

The same issue occured on my laptop too. I am using Inspiron 15 3000 Series. It has started after I installed all recommended updates on SupportAssist. The updates included the BIOS and INTEL updates. When I properly try to turn off my laptop, the screen goes off. Everything seems normal at first but when I touch bottom of the laptop, it keeps its heat. Because, somehow, it keeps running. When I want to turn on, I have to press hold my power button to activate shut down mode. Then I am able to turn on. I have no idea what is going on. Before those updates on SupportAsist, my whole laptop was running without any issue. And I read all suggestions above, but I don't think it is relevant. Is there any way to undone the updates that we've done on SupportAsist? I'd like to try that solution.

No Events found!