Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

7 Posts

September 30th, 2008 19:00

Lat. E6400 USB Powershare port

Hey there!

New Latitude E6400 owner here :-).

Any idea why even though PowerShare is enabled in BIOS, it's not working ?  I try to charge my iphone, but it's definitely not getting any power from the lightning bolt USB port on the left side...  Only then the laptop is up and running, but that's "normal".  The feature allows to charge even when the laptop is powered down.

Anything else I'm missing?

7 Posts

October 1st, 2008 12:00

Nevermind; the iphone 3G is really picky about his power source and when the computer's off is must not get enough power.  It's working with my Nano.

4 Posts

November 11th, 2008 08:00

I am having the same issue with my iphone and support was no help. I have the bios set to Enable for USB Poweshare by my iphone does not charge when the laptop is off, by the way I have an E6500.  I guess I am looking for an official statement from Dell as to whether the iphone is supported or not. It would be a rather big disappointment as this feature help me decide on this line of laptops and to find in only supports certain USB devices, when that is not noted anywhere, will make me think twice on Dell next time. Thanks

1 Message

November 15th, 2008 09:00

...same problems here with my E6500. I tested a HTC P3300, Creative ZEN and a PS3-Controller without success. It seems, that this feature does not work with most of the USB devices :(

4 Posts

November 15th, 2008 18:00

Thanks for the update, I am going to call Dell Support again and push this a little harder.  My guess was that the USB port would output 5 volts when the computer was off, I really don't understand what the issue is.

4 Posts

December 19th, 2008 05:00

Dell support has been no help.  I cut the mouse off of a usb cable and hooked up my multi-meter and the laptop is outputting 5.07 volts when the machine is on and also when it is of. I can only assume the iphone is looking for something else and when the laptop is off, even though there is voltage, it will not charge. If anyone has any other info, please pass along. Disappointed Dell owner.

2 Posts

February 21st, 2009 19:00

I'm having the same problem.  Powershare USB port on my E6400 does not charge my iPhone.  I have not tried other USB devices.  Are there any answers on this?

1 Message

December 7th, 2009 13:00

iPhones need to see a refference voltage on the 2 data pins (#2 and 3)

Dell powershare works perfect, the problem is that the iPhone is very picky with what it gets powered from.   When the computer is on, the USB port is recognized as both a data port and a power port.  But whne the computer is off, it only provided power to pins 1 and 4 of the USB, which is enough to charge just about any NON APPLE device on the planet...

there is a work around..  Products like this make it work.- http://www.boxwave.com/products/iphonechargingadapter/iphone-charging-adapter-apple-iphone_2661.htm

The product has a high resistance resistor that provides a low voltage signal to the 2 data pins, enabling the iPhone to charge using powershare.

6 Posts

December 21st, 2009 06:00

I received a corporate gift here in Asia that works pretty well - called the CSQUID....

check out...http://www.agreenc.com/

But I am not sure if they sell it to other than corporates. You can try to email them and ask. I carry this cable with me and it charges my IPOD and blackberry even when my PC is in standby. I would think it should work on any device that has an Apple connector or a small usb connector like on a BOLD but I am not sure....

Good luck.

3 Posts

January 10th, 2010 18:00

I have a nokia e52 and same problem.  no use a t all if it wont charge when the laptop is off and feel if I need an extra device for it to work they should supply it as technically it does not charge phones when off as promised

7 Posts

March 15th, 2010 03:00

Same problem with my mobile phone (Samsung B2100) on a brand new Studio 1747.

Is this a general problem, or just does not work on my laptop/phone?

Should I call a Dell Tech and Dell can fix it, or is it not working per default with phones, and this "powered" USB port is just a marketing gag?

Can answer  someone from Dell to this questions?

6 Posts

March 15th, 2010 06:00

Ok here goes......I am not from Dell but I am an engineer and have played around a bit in trying to find out what was going on. Here is what I have discovered so far.....anyone on the board please feel free to correct me if one of my statements of conclusions is incorrect.

There are 2 issues that need to be addressed here....

1) IS there power on the USB port when the PC is in standby? By this I mean, is there even a 5V supply on the USB port. A lot of desktops and notebooks out there now have this power present even in standby. However this does mean that the battery is drained although the drain is very small. I believe that the powershare port was designed ot leave power on the port even during standby. But this does not mean that ALL the USB ports on on every Dell notebook will have power. In fact I have al older Dell Latitude and none of the USB ports have power during standby. The only way you would know for sure if your PC does have power is to measure the USB port or have some sort of light or USB device that can detect this. I suspect most tech support lines will not help with this as it is too detailed.

2) IF you have power in standby, can you charge your phone? The answer most likely is that with a regular cable you cannot charge most phones - I know some phones like Samsung you can but not Blackberry or Iphone etc.  In order to charge the phone when the PC is in standby you need to get some sort of special cable to allow it to do that or have it built into the PC USB port. I am myself a little confused about what the powershare port is. Is it supposed to charge in standby or just supply USB power in standby?

So for e.g. on my Dell and Acer computers, power was present but they could not charge my blackberry or Ipod using the regular cable (I know power was present because I hooked up a light to the USB port).

I hope this helps I hope that most or all of what I said is correct and makes sense. Just trying to help

6 Posts

March 15th, 2010 08:00

One final point to add is that when I use the CSQUID cable, it charged my blackberry from the Powershare port and other PCs when in standby but still did not work from my older Dell Latitude. In fact even teh LED on the device would not light up telling me that there was no power present on the USB port in standby.

thanks

7 Posts

March 16th, 2010 10:00

Reply to your 2 points:

1) IS there power on the USB port when the PC is in standby?

YES, I tested the combined USB/eSata port with a USB ventilator on my powered off Studio 1747 laptop. And the ventilator worked.

2) IF you have power in standby, can you charge your phone?

NO, so now I know the problem must be the phone. It doesn't charge when the laptop is off,  although there is power (see point 1)

So with my laptop in this case every thing is fine.

Thanks and greetz.

4 Posts

March 16th, 2010 15:00

Check out this product from an earlier reply on this thread: http://www.boxwave.com/products/iphonechargingadapter/iphone-charging-adapter-apple-iphone_2661.htm

6 Posts

March 16th, 2010 15:00

Then the CSQUID cable should work. You will need to contact AGREENC independently to find out if they sell to individuals get details from them. The one I got was a corporate gift from my bank. It is too bad that you need  2 separate devices (PC+CSQUID) needed to get it to work properly but there is no way around that I think or I suspect all PC makers would have done that already. Goodluck

No Events found!