Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 2nd, 2016 01:00

Latency in Dell Inspiron i7359-8404SLV.

I bought this laptop. 

didn't install anything but the original Win 10.

Run latency check and got values more than 1000. With make sound to "stuck" from time to time. (see picture)

I intend to use it as a DJ computer.

Is anyone knows how can I lower the latency.

I took the laptop to Dell laboratory but they told me all HW are working fine , and it's not their problem.

Thank you,

Hanan

8 Posts

May 2nd, 2016 05:00

I have done optimization for audio processing with ableton and native instruments tutorials

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

May 2nd, 2016 06:00

Hello. From the screen shot you posted the DPC latency is not ideal but it is not exceptionally large either. There might be some other reason 

To use the DPC Latency Tool to help lower excessive latency, follow the instructions for analyzing the latency on its web site. It says

"You can find out the driver which causes the excessive DPC latencies by disabling individual devices using Windows Device Manager. To open Device Manager, choose Properties from the context menu of the My Computer icon on your desktop and click the Device Manager button on the Hardware tab.

In Device Manager disable individual devices, one at a time. To disable a device, right-click on the corresponding item (e.g. on the Ethernet adapter) and choose Disable from the context menu. Windows marks a disabled device with a red cross as shown in the figure below. To enable a device again, choose Enable from the context menu.

After you disabled a single device, carefully watch DPC Latency Checker. When excessive latency values disappear you found the responsible device driver. If there are still exceptional large DPC latencies try the next device.

In many cases DPC latency problems are caused by specific types of devices. So you should try the device types listed below first.

• Network adapters for Ethernet and Wireless LAN (W-LAN)
  • Internal modems
  • Internal sound devices (on-board sound systems)
  • Any PCI or PCI Express add-on card, any PCCard or ExpressCard, e.g. TV tuner cards, ISDN or DSL adapters, modems, etc.

Warning: Don't disable devices that are essential for your computer to function!

You should not disable:

• any device listed in Device Manager under System devices or Computer,
  • the hard disk that contains the system partition,
  • the IDE/ATAPI or SATA controller this hard disk is connected to,
  • the system keyboard,
  • the mouse, track point or touch pad device,
  • the USB controller external keyboard and/or mouse devices are connected to,
  • the display controller listed under Display adapters.

When you have identified the device driver which is responsible for the drop-outs consult the device vendor's website or customer support to find an update for this driver. If this is not possible you may decide to keep the concerned device disabled while you are using streaming applications.

By using the method described above, in some cases it may not be possible to clearly identify a device driver that is responsible for the problems. In such a situation you could try to use the tool RATT available from Microsoft. However, RATT is not easy to use and analysis results might be difficult to interpret. To download RATT, search Google for "Microsoft RATTV3".

8 Posts

May 3rd, 2016 05:00

I've disabled every driver possible and any driver shown on the dcp monitor. It keeps the latency lower but just a little bit. There are still cracks and drop outs even when using Windows Media player and no other program is running parallel.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

May 3rd, 2016 08:00

There are still cracks and drop outs even when using Windows Media player and no other program is running parallel.

Do you see a spike in DPC latency when the cracks and dropout occur? If not then probably some other problem.

8 Posts

May 3rd, 2016 08:00

,yes, exactly when the drop outs accur ,that's when it shows  a red bar on the monitor

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

May 3rd, 2016 19:00

Try LatencyMon -- it might tell you which driver is the issue.

8 Posts

May 4th, 2016 05:00

you think downgrade to WIN 7  may solve it?

if yes can I ask microsoft to switch the win10 license with win 7?

I'll check your suggestion later today.

Thank you for the help.

No Events found!