Highlighted
spunfunky
1 Copper

Latitude 120L no power, green fading light after cleaning. HELP!!

Hello, I have a Dell Lattitde 120L, 1.5G RAM. XP service pack 3  which was overheating so I decided to clean the fan and now when I push the on button it makes no noise and the green light turns on for about 2 seconds then fades off like the battery went dead and that's it. It was running good but overheating so I researched how to take it apart to clean the fan. I pulled the battery and touched the non painted metal surface to de-static. I pulled out the processor thermal-cooling assembly, DVD drive, RAM, network card, keyboard and removed the screen. I was super careful and followed the instructions but I forgot to try to start it after I pulled the battery out to drain the power. Also, there was no grease on the thermal unit when I put it back in. I could really use your help and appreciate it very much.

Thanks again

John

0 Kudos
5 Replies

Re: Latitude 120L no power, green fading light after cleaning. HELP!!

Hi spunfunky,

It seems to be a hardware issue and I would like to help you isolate the same. Please unplug the battery and the adapter, press and hold power button for 10 seconds and then plugin the adapter and turn on the computer. If you get light on the power button, we would be able to run a test on the computer to check what exactly has gone wrong. Instructions on how to run the test are mentioned in http://dell.to/i5zbDR

During the test you would get a screen with solid colors, at that time please press “Y”.
The test result should be an error code or beeps (if nothings come up on the screen).

Please keep me posted with the results.

Thanks & Regards
Manshu S
#iworkfordell

0 Kudos
spunfunky
1 Copper

Re: Latitude 120L no power, green fading light after cleaning. HELP!!

Hi Manshu and thanks for the reply. I did as you asked and I get the same thing as before, the green light lights up and then dissipates in a few seconds. I get no fan or hard drive action at all.

John

0 Kudos

Re: Latitude 120L no power, green fading light after cleaning. HELP!!

Hi spunfunky,

It seems like a hardware issue, I would suggest you to try the following steps:

1. Try connecting the adapter to a different power outlet.
2. Try using a good known power adapter.
3. Try re-seating the memory of the computer using the manual on http://dell.to/SAfd7M

I would need some system specific details which would help me determine options available to fix the issue.

I’m going to add you as a friend. Please accept my friend request by clicking on “Friends” tab and then click on “Request to Review” and click on Accept button.

I am sending you a private message as well, please click on my name highlighted in blue. On the next page, click the envelope icon and provide the required information in private message so I may access your system records and check for further course of action.

Thanks & Regards
Manshu S
#iworkfordell

0 Kudos
spunfunky
1 Copper

Re: Latitude 120L no power, green fading light after cleaning. HELP!!

Hi again Manshu, this is a second hand laptop so I'm not sure about the system records. I know it's a Dell Latitude 120L w 1.5 gigs of ram. I did measure the output of the CMOS battery and it registered 3.1. Could that make it die?

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

Re: Latitude 120L no power, green fading light after cleaning. HELP!!

The voltage of a Coin-Cell battery is usually about 3V - it should even be written on the battery itself.3.1 V sounds good to me and NO - a dead battery would not cause such a problem as you described.

In your first post you wrote that you opened the system only because of overheating issues.So I assume that otherwise the system was working fine.

Even though you were very careful something must have gone wrong when you put everything back together.

From your description it could be a power cable (don't know what your system looks like inside) that is not properly connected to the motherboard.

Whatsoever - you have to check the wiring a second,third or even a fourth time .Don't forget to remove the battery and disconnect the power adapter when you do this.

If you are absolutely sure that the wiring is ok you might try removing/disconnecting parts(touchpad/keyboard/memory etc..)  and see if it makes any difference when you try turning the system on again.

Do it on your own responsibility - but this seems to be the only chance to get this system back on track.

0 Kudos