Highlighted
trappertam
1 Copper

Latitude 131L with SigmaTel High Definition Audio CODEC Noise Issue

My audio worked fine until about 2 months ago. The problem was first noticed when using the laptop speakers, and then it moved to headset as well. The noise is the popping sound that you get when a headset male plug is not connected properly to the female junction. I updated the Sigmatel driver to the latest one, which is supposed to reduce the noise, and it eliminated the noise for one trial run. Then it began again. The speakers have never been damaged and I have never taken my computer apart, although I have been sorely tempted. The problem is worse when more than one user is logged into the computer, and it also gets worse when more programs are running. I use windows media player, and that's it. I don't and have not installed other programs to run sound. I've cleaned everything I can think of, removed all the excess files, defragged, scandisked and at one point, even re-formatted and reinstalled everything, including upgrading to XP SP3. Interestingly, certain sounds, such as windows default ping and other very short sound files do not (always) have the popping sound. Last but not least, the Sigmatel driver in the downloads area of Dell's website shows a date of 12/4/7, but after installing, shows an earlier date of 5/10/7. Trying to play a CD or listen to a YouTube video is impossible. The driver is the SigmaTel High Definition Audio CODEC.

I'm out of ideas. If anyone can help, I would appreciate it. Thanks.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
8 Krypton

Re: Latitude 131L with SigmaTel High Definition Audio CODEC Noise Issue

Take a look at the thread Choppy/Skipping Audio Workarounds and see if the DMA/PIO tip in Section Two helps.

Jim Coates -- 15 years on the Dell Laptop Audio boards -- since 2/6/04 

0 Kudos
trappertam
1 Copper

Re: Latitude 131L with SigmaTel High Definition Audio CODEC Noise Issue

It worked! I had to click on the link and follow the instructions, but it works now, so I'm extremely happy and relieved.

Thank you so much, jimco!

0 Kudos