Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 28th, 2015 08:00

Latitude 14 rugged (5404) (Latitude P46G) hard drive adapter

I recently purchased a Latitude 14 rugged laptop without a hard drive so that I could add a larger capacity drive than what was offered when I configured the system.  I received the laptop without the required hard drive tray needed to install a drive upon contacting Dell they sent me the tray without the adapter that connects to the SATA connector on the drive.  After numerous conversation with support they are unable to identify this (probably $20) part so basically I have no way to install a hard drive in this system.

3 Posts

June 23rd, 2015 15:00

It is a bit late, but the part you need is Dell part number N96D2.  They call it a "CBL, FPC, STRG, OUTER, 5404".

Casey

5 Posts

October 6th, 2015 15:00

Were you able to get the the proper connector? And would you have the part number of the hard drive tray as well? I am having an extremely difficult time getting through to Dell

3 Posts

October 7th, 2015 12:00

Yes, the part number above is the connector/adapter that goes from a regular laptop SATA drive to whatever plug the latitude is.  The only thing it didn't include was the tray and the two screws that hold the adapter into the tray (which are very very small).

The tray is part number Y6WDM  (BRACKET...,SUPPORT...,HDD,TABULATED...,5404).

I got both parts through Dell ProSupport Plus; at the time the Latitude was so new they didn't have SKUs that my Dell rep could use, but he was able to get the ProSupport guys to take care of it.

Casey

1 Message

December 14th, 2015 10:00

We have the opposite problem.  Our rep was able to get use the tray and two screws, but omitted the connector.  Now the rep claims the factory is out of stock for the connector and there is no ETA.  We've been dealing with this for 7 weeks.

Our rep also hasn't given us the part number for the adapter/connector/plug - like you said, whatever it is... 

Would someone kindly call out the part number for just the connector?

3 Posts

December 14th, 2015 13:00

The connector should be N96D2.  They call it a "CBL, FPC, STRG, OUTER, 5404".

If they can look at ProSupport cases, ours was 912658039.

Casey

January 2nd, 2017 15:00

This thread was useful for me in ordering the part, unfortunately the order was canceledd shortly afterwards because it is no longer available.  I was advised to try and find the part from another vendor.

5 Posts

January 4th, 2017 14:00

I am sorry you had to go through the pain of dealing with Dell. I ordered, re-ordered and re-ordered and after 9 months found out the same problem you encountered. Hopefully you did not have to wait that long. Especially since this laptop is still available and could be ordered in it's entirety. My solution was to remove the DVD drive and purchase a hard drive carrier that slides into the same slot. I then remove the original hard drive when I want to use a different OS. Works great. You only need to keep in mind there are 2 different thicknesses of the optical drive available. Cheap ones are 9 bucks on EBAY and a good metal one is about 20 bucks. Your local computer store like Memory Express in Canada has them on the shelf. I hope this helps you.

No Events found!