Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 18th, 2017 08:00

Latitude 5414 Fingerprint reader problem

Hi There!

I have a fairly big problem with the integrated fingerprint reader in my 5414 rugged laptop.

It was not working first, because the Broadcom FMA program said the syde-by-side configuration is wrong.

Then I updated the ControlVault driver and that's where all my problem began.

I downloaded the version 4.5.17.305 of the ControlVault driver package. I installed it and I saw it was updated the firmware of the fingerprint reader. But, the main problem was that it's removed the Broadcom FMA application, and then I had no any fingerprint application on my laptop.

I tried to reinstall the originally installed 4.2.9.52 version of the ControlVault package, with the Broadcom FMA application included, but after that, the fingerprint reader did not recognized by Windows and the installed drivers was not okay. I tried to flash back the old firmware, but the firmware updater program fails all the time. I tried to install the middle version of the ControlVault package, the 4.4.28.187, but nothing changed.

I copied the Broadcom FMA application to another location, before I installed the newest package and I can start it, enroll my fingerprints, but when the aplication should save my data, it says "The biometric unit is not in the correct state to perform the specified operation".

Now, the newest ControlVault package is installed on my computer, but there's no FMA application.

Why is the Broadcom FMA application is not included in the latest driver package? Where can I find a separate installer for this application or how can I flash back the old firmware, so I can use the oldest driver package and my fingerprint reader?

Please help, I'm installing/reinstalling/rolling back Windows/downloading several programs in the last 2 days and I'm getting sick of it that I cannot make this thing working on a really expensive laptop!

Thanks!

2 Posts

January 18th, 2017 23:00

I still don't understand why is the FMA app is removed from the installation package, but I managed to get it working. It just needed a registry entry for tha app to be recognized by Windows.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Control Panel\WinBio\FMA]

"CommandLine"="\"%ProgramFiles%\\\\Broadcom Corporation\\\\Broadcom USH Host Components\\\\BrcmFMA.exe\""

No Events found!