Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 23rd, 2016 11:00

Latitude 5430 won't boot up

Dell Latitude 5430, out of warranty.  The power light comes on, but it never goes anywhere.  No beeping, no Dell logo.  It is receiving power but I don't think it is seeing the hard drive.  On powerup, hard drive light comes on once for a split second, and then it remains off.  I have tried removing battery, pushing power button, reinstalling battery, no luck.  I have pressed the Fn key with power button, nothing. 

No beeping, no boot, the screen stays just black, but power is on.  Please help. 

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

April 23rd, 2016 12:00

See if you can get an image on an external display. If you can, the problem is with the display panel or video cable inside the system.

If you cannot, the problem is a bad mainboard.

2K Posts

April 24th, 2016 11:00

Hi HARUNBEY,

Run the LCD test - Turn off the system and press and hold the "D" key + power button to turn on the machine. It should run the LCD built in self test - see this link - http://dell.to/1SkXNrG

Also, run the epsa diags - Turn off the system and press and hold the "fn" key + power button to turn on the machine. If there is no video, then try connecting an external monitor and check or wait for a few minutes and count the # of beeps in a cycle - this could isolate the source of the issue.

As advised by ejn63, an external monitor will help isolate the issue easily.

Keep us updated.

2 Posts

April 25th, 2016 13:00

Thank you for the replies.  I have run the LCD test, and it went thru several cycles of different colors on the screen, but never booted up.  The Fn + Power key does not go too far.  All I get is a flashing battery icon.  I believe the motherboard is bad and I am happy to say it is still under warranty.  Therefore Dell will be replacing it for me.  

2K Posts

April 27th, 2016 18:00

Hi Harunbey,

Thank you for the update.

If you have already contacted our colleagues through phone or email support and are being provided an inwarranty service call, then great. 

If you need any help / info, then kindly send me a private message with the service tag and your contact details.

No Events found!