Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 26th, 2013 07:00

Latitude 6430u Backlit Keyboard Control

Latitude 6430u: Is there a setting to keep the backlit keyboard ON?

Mine times out @ 10sec.

24 Posts

July 26th, 2016 22:00

I've had a Latitude 6430u, E6410 and E6400 prior to my current E7440.  All of them had backlit keyboards.

On the older models (E6400/E6410), the settings allowed the user to choose how long the keyboard remains illuminated.  It maxed out at 5-minutes, if I'm not mistaken.  I'm not certain, but I think my 6430u had the same capability initially.  Then Dell released a new system management software (or updated the existing one) and the duration of the keyboard lighting is no longer an option.  The backlight on my E7440 turns off after 30 seconds or so and it is very irritating that I must press a random key to "wake it up".  The reason they do this is to maximize battery life, but as the owner/user, I should be able to choose whether keeping the keyboard lit for a longer duration or maximizing battery life is more important! 

18 Posts

November 27th, 2016 17:00

Hello Jep, I did not understand the sequence of Joe's script. I have latitude e6440 with windows 10. Does it change anything in the script?

"Then create a batch file with this script (windows only):

@ECHO OFF

:loop

start "backlight" /D "C:\Program Files (x86)\Dell\Command Configure\X86_64" /B "cctk.exe" "--keyboardillumination=on"

timeout /t 5

goto loop"

Do I need to put all the expressions 'in quotes'?

How should I write exactly?

Thanks.

20 Posts

November 28th, 2016 09:00

Hi alexluc,

1. First you need to download and install this file:

Systems-Management_Application_X0TCK_WN_3.0.0.1_A01.EXE

from this link:

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=X0TCK

(Before you install the file check if your model is supported by clicking on "> Compatible Systems" at the bottom of the page).

2. After installation, open Notebook and copy and paste the text exactly as it is shown below:

@ECHO OFF

:loop

start "backlight" /D "C:\Program Files (x86)\Dell\Command Configure\X86_64" /B "cctk.exe" "--keyboardillumination=on"

timeout /t 5

goto loop

3. Now, save the file as a ".bat" file, i.e. backlight.bat

4. Now, right-click the backlight.bat file and "Run as administrator".

A DOS Command window should open where you can see that the command runs in a loop.

Do not close the file (you can minimize it). The backlight should stay on full as long as you don't close the backlight.bat file. Brightness adjustment will not work, it will always be maximum (but a small price to pay, IMO).

If this works on your model, let ppl know, so they can benefit as well (mention your exact model and BIOS version if you can).

Good Luck. Jep.

20 Posts

November 28th, 2016 14:00

Sorry, when I said "open Notebook" I meant "open Notepad" :(

18 Posts

November 28th, 2016 17:00

Hello jep

First of all, my note is a Latitude E6440 with Bios A14.

I ask what happens if the file is closed and because it is not necessary to press keys during its execution.

Although the message 'Insufficient free memory to run this program' appeared at first, the problem of keyboard illumination appeared to be resolved.

This way it is assumed that for the note to be used with illuminated keyboard without interruptions, the backlight file must always be executed. That's right????

20 Posts

November 29th, 2016 04:00

This is correct, the file must run or the light switches off. My memory usage is negligible though, this is why I let it run all time. I do not get a memory message as you describe it. Does the program actually use a lot of your resources? If not I'd just ignore the message. I am unable to help with the actual script but the original programmer might be. I'm glad it works for you.

DELL should really sort this out. I have contacted them several times about this problem but their answer is "we might resolve this in the future". Not good enough! Take care, jep

18 Posts

November 29th, 2016 08:00

hello jep

The memory error message only appeared once. So far it's working perfectly.

It was totally unnecessary to use this command since in the application downloaded Dell Configure, there is the option "keyboardbacklightonacpower", which I am not mistaken, would allow the use of the illuminated keyboard uninterruptedly.

You see that a vostro 3500 that I had, that was how it worked, that is, it was enough to press the Fn keys and sit to the right that it connected and it would only turn off when we wanted.

20 Posts

November 30th, 2016 05:00

Which "Dell Configure" are you talking about? Could you provide a download link, please.

18 Posts

November 30th, 2016 06:00

Run Command Configure. Then click on 'Create Multiplatform Package' or 'Create Local System Package'. You will see in 'Category': 'System Configuration' and in 'Name': 'keyboardbacklightonacpower'. Then you enable or disable the feature.

20 Posts

November 30th, 2016 16:00

Tried this before. However, the keyboard function doesn't work on the E5540 model (confirmed by DELL). They say this configuration utility has been discontinued but no replacement has so far been released, and probably never will be.

18 Posts

November 30th, 2016 16:00

That is, the only way out will be through this script. Or upgrade the Dell Configure version.

18 Posts

January 12th, 2017 15:00

Hello jep3422,
After a while, the above script stops working. Displays the error:
Waiting for 0 seconds, press a key to continue ... ConnectServer failed for namespaceGetWMISMBIOSTable: NULL pointer SMBIOS Entry Specified.GetWM
'Dell Command Configure has stopped working.'
Even uninstalling and reinstalling the program version.
Any ideas or suggestions? thank you.

No Events found!