Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 8th, 2013 07:00

Latitude 6430u and D5000 WiGig wireless dock

I got the D5000 in for testing today and I cannot, for the life of me, get the thing to connect.  I have the DW1601 wigig card installed, drivers installed, (Windows7 SP1)... power plugged into the dock, power switch on...press the connect button on the dock, nothing shows up in the connection manager on the laptop, and it never connects, just flashes an amber light.  Any ideas?  

We ordered the 6430u pre-wigig and had to install the 1601 cards after the fact.  I am wondering if ordering got mixed up with the initial order and they are lacking the antenna's or something.

Thanks!

Ben

20 Posts

April 11th, 2013 14:00

Thanks for the alternate link.  The technician removed the stock bluetooth 380 LE module, but Windows 7 still did not see the wireless card (1601).  

Moserst:  Thanks for finding that link.  it's funny that the first link says it's for Windows 8, because Dell has told me that the 1601 wireless card is not compatible with 8.   If you actually search for network drivers using the Service Tag, but not filter out by the service tag, it doesn't even show a driver for Windows 8.   I found my link searching for Windows 7 64bit.

I'm going to load this new driver momentarily and will post back my findings.

20 Posts

April 11th, 2013 15:00

Ok, I have the 1601 working under Windows 7.   I had to remove the Bluetooth 380 LE adapter, and I had to run the old version of the driver.

This version of the driver worked:  http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/04/DriverDetails?driverId=P7P91.

This version of the driver did NOT work for Windows 7 or Windows 8.  It doesn't seem to work period;  http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/04/DriverDetails?driverId=WHG88

1 Message

April 15th, 2013 14:00

Those drivers did the trick. Thanks for the link. 

April 29th, 2013 06:00

Has anyone tried simply disabling the existing bluetooth in the BiOS? Would this prevent the need of physically removing it? 

When I ordered my 6430u 3 weeks ago, all the documentation suggested it would work with the D5000 dock out of the box. I saw no place that required me to add on a 1601 card. After contacting dell, I had to spend another $60 for the card and rip apart my brand new computer to install it. I'm not looking forward to it. They should make it more clear that the 6430u is NOT compatible with the D5000 unless you purchase a new card. I was even more dissapointed that they didn't offer to ship me the card for free, after spending $2500. 

20 Posts

April 30th, 2013 08:00

Yes, I tried disabling bluetooth in the BIOS and that did not resolve the issue.   However, this was before I discovered that we had to use the older versions of the drivers.   So, it might be possible, although I cannot verify at this time.

I certainly understand your frustration.   After releasing the wireless dock, the 1601 card has always shown up as an option.   HOWEVER, you often have to pick the most basic of the 6430u's and then hit customize on the unit that says it's FULLY CUSTOMIZABLE.   On many of the other pre-configured versions, you miss out on being able to modify some of the components and often times the network card is one of those things.   

Back when I bought my 6430u, the wireless dock wasn't out and the 1601 card simply didn't exist.   Thus, it wasn't even listed as an option.   So, I didn't even have a chance to buy one.

The description says:  Dell Wireless™ 1601 WiGig (for Wireless dock connectivity) and 802.11n 2x2 Wi-Fi Half Mini Card [add $37.50].    So, it is somewhat clear and then again not so much that this card is required.   It comes down to KNOWING that the wireless dock requires WiGIG.     

5 Posts

June 23rd, 2013 19:00

Hi I am puzzled about blue wire you mention above. I found the blue wire OK, but there is no place on the 1601 card to plug this wire into. Shell I weld it manually to the card perhaps? is into which place? I wonder if Dell has any guide on the 1601 install steps anywhere - I was not able to find one.

thanks

S.

June 24th, 2013 05:00

Sasha-

There's a small pin (the same diameter as the pin for the black and white wires) on the card. It has a small blue marking around it.

Are you positive your card is a 1601? They sent me the wrong card twice... 

5 Posts

June 24th, 2013 17:00

Adam - thank you. I figured out the blue wire - it is a long blue wire with the very small connection jack on its end and there is a corresponding terminal on the top left of  1601 card for this jack. It is very hard to attach the two together though.

3 Posts

July 22nd, 2013 15:00

Does anyone have a picture of where the blue wire is?  I just bought a brand new 6430u and am trying to upgrade the wireless card to the 1601 so I can use the wireless dock.  I cant find the blue wire anywhere!

thanks

5 Posts

July 23rd, 2013 02:00

I don't have a picture but look in a vicinity of your currently installed WiFI card. There would be 2 wires coming to the existing card and one blue wire - which is not used, but stored away outside. It would have a much smaller connector-socket than the other two wires, which are currently connected to your current WiFi card.

3 Posts

July 23rd, 2013 05:00

thanks, I just don't see it.  My current wifi card has 3 wires on it, black, grey & white.   Maybe it isn't prewired for the wigig card?

5 Posts

July 23rd, 2013 23:00

I would think that the grey is the one you are looking for. The black and white should have a bigger sockets and grey a smaller socket. ? If so grey would be for the bluetooth. In any case you can take the old one out and put a Wigig card instead - use white/black for wifi sockets and grey for bluetooth and give it a try.

3 Posts

July 24th, 2013 05:00

thanks, I will try that.  The grey wire has the same connector on it as the black & white.  All three were connected to the old wifi card.  I will try it with only the black and white connected.   I can live without Bluetooth in the laptop, I would prefer to have the wireless dock working.

2 Posts

July 31st, 2013 09:00

same here adamwturner, except mine is not for myself but for a chief exec.  We are both appalled at Dell's failure with this product.  I've influenced over 700 Dell computer purchases, but I I'm going to expand my horizons next time around with HP and Lenovo.

2 Posts

July 31st, 2013 09:00

I think you are looking at the WWAN interface slot.  The WLAN interface is just a bit farther in towards the center of the board.  Note that the three connection points for the 1601 WiGig card have Black, White, and Blue triangles indicating the correct connection points.  I found it hard to connect the Bluetooth (blue) connection, but was able to do so with the 1601 card prior to seating it.

No Events found!