Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 25th, 2014 08:00

Latitude 7240: Recovering hard disk with self encription

Hello,

we have several Dell laptops in our company including the Latitude 7240 with 256GB SSD with self encryption (Lite On LMT-256M6M).

One on the user has input wrong password on its new Latitude 7240 during the Dell Pre boot authentication (PBA) and now the Dell PBA states that the computer is locked and that it is necessary to contact the administrator (that it's me).

During the setup of the Dell Data Protection Encryption (DDPE) in the windows 7 Environment I added a usb key to let the DDPE create the recovery OpalSPKey dat file. So I have this file but I'm not able to unlock the drive from bios or even connecting the hard drive with a msata to usb as suggested by the local Dell Prosupport technician.

I tried also to remove the partition of the hard drive in order to reset the hard drive (also this was suggested by Dell Prosupport technician) but the drive doesn't allow any operation. 

Other similar encryption solution permits to recover the hard drive with the backup recovery file. I imagine that the dat file that I have should be used quite for such situation but I'm not able to find the tools that need to be used. 

I'm looking for any suggestion to solve this problem. 

Thank you in advance for your kind help.

Best regards

Marco

157 Posts

November 23rd, 2015 16:00

I also have this same problem, except my Dell DDP ST pre-boot auth accepts my password, and then hangs forever with:

"Authentication Successful. Please wait...."

It'll sit there forever and never actually boot into Windows. I too have my recovery key but don't know how to actually use it. What's the fix?

December 21st, 2015 02:00

Hi Justin,

I have the same Problem with an E6440.

Maybe you can help me.

Regards,

Johannes

1 Message

January 23rd, 2016 03:00

Hi

Encountering the same issue. I do not have the administrator password for Dell Data Protection Encryption so can't decrypt the hard drive on my wife's laptop. This means that I can't upgrade it to Windows 10 which is a bit of a pain!

I have a the encryption key on an external USB but struggling as I'm not sure what to do with it. Any help most appreciated.

3 Posts

October 28th, 2016 08:00

I have the same issue as mentioned by others in this thread.  I am really eager to get hold of the the Dell Windows recovery kit to create bootalbe media that contains DELL OPAL SED Recovery Utility. Dell proSupport in the Netherlands unable to deliver so I need to get this from Dell US I think.

Hello I have a harddrive that have SED and I have enabled encryption via DDP software that comes with dell. I can authenticate with my user/pass at PBA and I have also *.dat files. So only thing i need is "windows recovery kit"  that was detailed at 

How to create the recovery media for DDP | E Security Tools Self-Encrypting Drive | Dell US

When Pre-Boot Authentication (PBA) is provisioned and the user’s credentials are accepted in the PBA, the system goes to a screen stating "Parity Error". The system must be recovered using a SED recovery kit, obtained from support and by removing the PBA using the [.dat] file that was...

to create bootalbe media that contains DELL OPAL SED Recovery Utility. proSupport in the Netherlands unable to deliver so I need to download this.

can someone help please.

1 Message

November 14th, 2016 06:00

Hi Justin,

I have a similar problem as the OP can you please assist? I added you as my friend

thanks,

DAn

1 Message

February 4th, 2017 11:00

Hello Justin,

I have this problem too and also added you as friend. Thanks!

No Events found!