Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

D

August 17th, 2017 12:00

Latitude 7480 wifi radio disabled after undocking - Intel 8265 wifi chip - Windows 10

When I undock the laptop by pulling the USB-C cable out (either sleeping beforehand or not sleeping first) then I am getting an intermittent issue where the wifi claims to be disabled. The only way to resolve this is a hard reboot.

Toggling airplane mode doesn't help. Disabling and reenabling the wifi network connection doesn't help. Toggling airplane mode from Fn-PrtScr doesn't help.

It is acting as though the hardware radio is turned off (like when laptops used to come with a hardware radio switch), but with no method to turn it on again.

Looking in the system event log I can see entries from source Netwtw04, Event ID 7012 stating "radio OFF"

Drivers and bios are all up to date.

Any ideas?

9.4K Posts

August 18th, 2017 07:00

Hi danieldurrans,

Thanks for posting.

Sleeping a computer can cause a lot of problems. There are profiles for when the computer is docked and when it's undocked.  Please check your power settings and see what profile you are using for on battery and on ac power, specifically under the WRLS NIC, configuration, it turns off wireless when running "low" on battery power.. i think its set that way on most systems by default.  Are you using a wired internet connection when docked?  The DCP has a module that manages network connections so it should be using the NIC when it sees a cable plugged in. Then when you undock, the cable is unplugged and the wireless kicks in, if there's a problem with that protocol, then it could cause what you are experiencing.  Try shutting down the computer completely while in the dock to let the profile reset itself, then undock.  Turn the computer back on undocked then off again.  Hopefully this will reset the profile.  

Post back if you need more assistance.

2 Posts

August 23rd, 2017 08:00

I have the same problem as Daniel.

I tried the method "Try shutting down the computer completely while in the dock to let the profile reset itself, then undock.  Turn the computer back on undocked then off again.  Hopefully this will reset the profile".

That did however not help in my case.

2 Posts

September 11th, 2017 01:00

I installed the new drivers (power manager and thunderbolt) from Aug 31 and Sept 1 as well as updated bios to 1.5.8. The problem seams to be gone now.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

September 11th, 2017 07:00

The last couple of BIOS releases for the 7480 have also specifically mentioned improving WiFi performance and stability, for what it's worth.  And the 7480 also recently got a significant Thunderbolt firmware update bringing it from the ancient NVM 12 to NVM 20, which would add compatibility with a lot of peripherals that would not have been supported before.

No Events found!