Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 16th, 2011 09:00

Latitude CPt V & CPx H Force BIOS Flash

I am writing this in hope that this will save someone all the trouble I had to go through.

I was also unable to find this information in one place on the web. 

It is put together from my experience and scraps of information found elsewhere.

This all began with suspected BIOS corruption on my Latitude CPx H500GT.

I do not have a floppy drive for the unit, so I originally flashed the BIOS using the Windows Packaged Version of the update.

I later read that this can lead to problems, although I have found that my flash operation was not affected.

During the process of trying to diagnose the lack of fan operation on my CPxH, it seemed a forced flash operation might be necessary.

What I learned is that I needed to use the UnPackaged DOS-Only version of the BIOS update software, using the switch to force the software to flash BIOS.

First copy the CPTX_A14.exe to a suitable directory on your hard drive,

Boot your WIndows CD-ROM or any other bootable cd that will allow you to access a DOS prompt without loading windows.

Navigate to the directory where you placed CPTX_A14.exe.

Type the following at the prompt:

CPTX_A14 /jabil

You will be prompted with choices within the upgrade, which will be reluctant to flash the BIOS, since it is already upgraded.

Make the selections that force the flash to take place. 

That's it, in a nutshell...

This procedure is not necessarily exclusive my my hardware.

1 Rookie

• 

11.1K Posts

July 16th, 2011 09:00

wow, that laptop is ANCIENT

2 Posts

July 18th, 2011 08:00

No, it is very well built, and extremely serviceable.

Yes, it is running Windows 98, and that with the other software on the machine, does everything I need it to do.

The laptop is a diagnostic tool, plain and simple.  Now run along and play with your toys...

1 Rookie

• 

11.1K Posts

July 18th, 2011 09:00

It is an ancient laptop.

Did I say it was "bad"????

Get that chip off YOUR shoulder.

Sheesh.

I have a IBM Thinkpad 600E of the same vintage, and I love it.

No Events found!