Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

7 Posts

December 29th, 2006 14:00

Latitude CPx won't power on

My Latitude CPx laptop won't power on.  When I press the power button, the power, num lock, caps lock, and scroll lock lights come on.  The num lock goes off after a split second, and the other three lights go off after 4 seconds.  It makes no sound at all.

I've read all the other posts about laptops not booting, and tried all the suggestions, including removing the battery, hard drive, additional memory, and just plugging in the power cord, and the result in all circumstances is the same. 

Help!!

1 Rookie

• 

3.9K Posts

December 29th, 2006 17:00

Time to buy a new system

You can get a new Mb for less than $100 but it isn't worth the effort & $ to fix it

7 Posts

December 30th, 2006 16:00

So that's it?  Dell laptops are good for two years and then you buy a new one?  Ouch.

3 Posts

December 30th, 2006 18:00

This just started to a CPx that I have also.  I had it running a few weeks ago with another keyboard and DIMM which have gone to a new machine.  Now that I have replacement parts (bought from DELL), this one doesn't start either!  There has to be a common thread here...

1 Rookie

• 

3.9K Posts

December 30th, 2006 21:00

Ugh

Latitude CPx series hasn't shipped from Dell since 1999-2000  It was a Pentium I/II class system.

So 2 years no, 6 years, it is likely that it will not be economically repairable.

3 Posts

December 31st, 2006 12:00

Actually it is a Pentium III 500 Mhz.  Not bad for Linux...  sigh

5 Posts

January 20th, 2007 22:00

Jeffernst,
What have you finally done? I have the same problem with my Latitude C600. Have you found the solution that worked for you? Help..
Alicja

7 Posts

January 21st, 2007 13:00

Alicjax,

I'm having a friend of mine who is a computer technician and has fixed this problem on Dell Latitude's before take a look at it, because he said it can be fixed with a $5 part that needs to be soldered to the motherboard.  Clearly not something for a non-technician to attempt.  If that doesn't work, I'm just going to use this laptop for parts, as I have a few others that still work.

5 Posts

January 21st, 2007 20:00

Hey Jeffernst!

Thans for the quick answer. I have just heard about the other solution. I did it and so far it seems to work. Give it a try:

1. Switch the dell off.
2. Put the battery out.
3. Push the power button for 2 minutes constantly (sounds stupid, I know)
4. Stop pushing the button.
5. Switch the laptop on without the battery, should work.
6. Switch it off.
7. Put the battery back inside.
8. Switch the dell on.

And? Does it work for you as well?

3 Posts

January 22nd, 2007 10:00

You may (or may not) be surprised to learn that my problem was a defective memory module purchased recently from Dell!  I called support and they didn't think it was the right one because the chip count was wrong even though it had the correct part number!  The good news is (a) they took it back and (b) sent me a replacement that was $10 less which actually worked.  I'm running linux on the box and it is behaving quite nicely.
No Events found!