Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 28th, 2010 16:00

Latitude D510 no audio driver after update to Windows 7

I installed a  Windows 7 update and now there is no audio. I went to Dell.com download center and downloaded sigmatel audio driver for my model but not all files unzipped. Error code 40.

Please help!! Tried more than once.

1 Message

December 27th, 2014 12:00

Thank you.  I had same problem with a D510 after W 7 install. I found your answer and it worked.  My video to TV with S-Video did not work either. I'm not sure if this solved it also but now both sound and video to TV both work.  Thabk you.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

November 28th, 2010 17:00

Download the Sigmatel R99254 driver. Unpack it but cancel the installation process.
It will unpack the files and store them in a folder on the hard drive at c:\Dell\drivers\R99254, and that folder will have a subfolder named WDM.

Open Device Manager and expand System devices near the bottom. Find the PCI Device entry with a ? next to it (or if that is not there then look for "Multimedia Audio Controller") . Go to the properties and choose to update the driver. Choose to manually find the driver and don't let Windows look for it. Browse to c:\Dell\drivers\R99254\WDM

Reboot and it should detect some new hardware and one of them should be the Sigmatel.

1 Message

November 9th, 2011 20:00

IM NOT GAY BUT I LOVE YOU THAN YOU SO SO MUCH

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

November 10th, 2011 03:00

You're welcome, I think.

1 Message

October 6th, 2012 14:00

Driver link is broken . here's  a new link:

ftp.dell.com/.../R99254.EXE

and thanks for the answer. it works.

1 Message

March 7th, 2013 17:00

changed from xp to windows 7 on latitude D510 and lost sound. what can i do? thnx.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

March 13th, 2013 21:00

if you go to Microsoft update catalog http://catalog.updat...arch.aspx?q=idt enter in Sigmatel you'll find a list of drivers to chose from.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

March 14th, 2013 05:00

changed from xp to windows 7 on latitude D510 and lost sound. what can i do?

Sorry for the late reply -- I did not not see your question last week when you posted.

The problem arises because Windows 7 does not have a native audio driver for AC97 audio (AC97 is the out-dated type of audio hardware that is on the motherboard of the Latitude D510). As a result, you have to manually install a Sigmatel audio driver, but because the Sigmatel company went out of business before Win7 came out there is not a Sigmatel driver explicitly for 7. The following instructions should allow you to install a Sigmatel AC97 driver into 7:

Download the Sigmatel R99254 driver. Unpack (unzip) it to but cancel the installation process.
The files should  unpack to a folder on the hard drive at c:\Dell\drivers\R99254, and that folder will have a subfolder named WDM.

Open Device Manager and expand System devices near the bottom. Find the PCI Device entry with a ? next to it (or if that is not there then look for "Multimedia Audio Controller") . Right click on the name and select "Properties", then choose to update the driver. Choose to manually find the driver and don't let Windows look for it. Browse to c:\Dell\drivers\R99254\WDM.

When you restart the laptop Windows will detect some new hardware and one of them will be the Sigmatel.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

March 14th, 2013 06:00

go to Microsoft update catalog....enter in Sigmatel you'll find a list of drivers to chose from.

I found a list of about 2 dozens downloads there and selected the one that seemed closest to the Sigmatel R99254 driver. When I downloaded it all I got was a small (254 kb) cabinet file -- no .exe or setup file. So I see 2 problems for the average person who just needs to download a driver:

1. You can't tell which of the 2 dozen downloads is the right one for a particular model, and

2. There is no obvious way to install it.

For most folks it is probably better to just get the normal Sigmatel drivers from Dell . Note that the Sigmatel R99254 is the correct audio driver for 15 old Dell laptop models that have AC97 audio, but there are 23 other old models that use a different Sigmatel driver, the R90698. See section 9 of  the Laptop Audio Driver FAQ for a complete list of which models go with each driver, and links to the drivers.

1 Message

October 16th, 2013 02:00

Thanks man Jimco

It has worked for on win7 32bit

God bless you

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

October 16th, 2013 04:00

Thanks man Jimco It has worked for on win7 32bit God bless you

Thank you for your kind words.

1 Message

November 27th, 2013 09:00

Hey Mr JIMCO. You are a legend, helped me out quite a bit with the Sigmatel audio drivers. Can you also help me find Video and Graphic Media Accelerator drivers for Dell latitude D510 for intel gma 915 for windows 7. Will be forever grateful !! please do reply or email me at <ADMIN NOTE: Email id removed per privacy policy>

Yours Truly

Shahmeer Shahid

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

November 27th, 2013 18:00

Video and Graphic Media Accelerator drivers for Dell latitude D510 for intel gma 915 for windows 7.

Hello Shahmeer Shahid. One of the other regular forum members, Philip Yip, has compiled a set of drivers for the Latitude D510 with Win 7 32 bit. I hope that Philip's suggestions work for you.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

December 27th, 2014 18:00

Thanks for the feedback.

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

December 28th, 2014 11:00

Glad my driver set helped you out.

No Events found!