Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 8th, 2010 17:00

Latitude D600 Hard Drive Replace - Not Detected at boot

My hard drive failed.  I ordered an installed a replacement - 40 GB instead of original 30 GB.  Boot now says "Primary hard disk drive 0 not found" then "No bootable devices--strike F1 to retry boot, F2 for setup utility"

I've gone thru the operating system (XP) reinstall but it fails after the initial memory load with similar error - can't detect a hard drive.

Advice?

Thanks.

HJ

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

July 8th, 2010 17:00

You need to transfer the black blade connector from the back of the original drive to the new one.  Without it, the drive isn't connected to the mainboard.

Pull the connector straight off the old drive (gently,  as the pins are flimsy) and place it on the new drive the same way it was on the original.

17 Posts

July 8th, 2010 18:00

Thanks, ejn63, that did the trick.

1 Rookie

• 

11.1K Posts

February 1st, 2011 12:00

There is nothing special about the hard drive for the D600. It is a 2.5" IDE/PATA hard drive

2 Posts

February 1st, 2011 12:00

UNCAHUAB,

Can you send me a photo copy of the hard drive you installed. I am getting the exact same message, but I am not trying to replace my drive.

TY

17 Posts

February 1st, 2011 18:00

As ieee488 stated, there is nothing special about the drive.  It appears that you have somehow lost connection to the drive.  In my case it was because I had not transferred the black blade connector to the new drive.  I'm not sure what you are looking for in terms of a "photocopy"?

17 Posts

May 14th, 2012 10:00

Thanks for taking the time to affirm the value of sharing with these groups.  And I'm glad you were able to resolve your issue!

May 14th, 2012 10:00

Thank you for the help with this... I had no idea what i was doing and your comment really helped greatly... thank you so much. 

No Events found!