Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

1 Message

September 21st, 2007 00:00

Latitude D600 flashing caps lock

I have a Latitude D600 that just recently stopped powering on with any consistency.  Most of the time the CAPS LOCK light flashes 9 times and the system powers off.  If I am lucky enough to see the system power up, it locks up within a minute and then it's back to the CAPS LOCK light again.  I have tried removing, moving, reseating and swapping RAM to no avail.  I have also unplugged the CMOS battery without success.  I have seen a lot of posts on this same problem on this site, but it seems like there are as many "fixes" as there are posts.  Is there an error code listing somewhere I could look at to see exactly what this means?  I don't mind replacing parts, as long as I'm not just guessing.

Thanks

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

September 21st, 2007 01:00

Reseat the RAM, battery, drives and any cards in the system. Verify that the LED on the AC adapter is ON before you plug in the notebook end. If it is not, the adapter is faulty; replace it. If it is on and the problem persists, the flashing caps lock indicates a mainboard failure. While the board can be replaced, it is a very expensive part (on the order of $400 for the board).

10 Posts

September 21st, 2007 07:00

Are you absolutely certain that it was only 9 times that the caps lock blinks? I'm having a simular problem with ram. Both scroll lock and num lock blink 10 times..indicating a problem with the ram. So I uninstalled the new stick of ram and the problem simply went away. If you have more than one stick of ram. You could try each stick seperately to see if that eliminates the problem.

1 Message

May 23rd, 2010 08:00

Hello,

I have the same problem on my Inspiron6000 :

When I switch on : the [9], :emotion-13: and [scroll] lite once and after the [9] blinks nine time (also tatally 10 ?).

The computer don't start.

If I remove one Memory, the computer starts and work "normally" but very very slowly.

I can use my two memory in the two slots without problem (every possibilities tested), as long as I use only one at time.

So I think :
- it's not a problem with my memory (otherwise it should have any problems with the wrong module) ?!?
- the motherboard should be Ok (otherwise it should have any problems with the wrong slot) ?!?

Is it possibl that the problem comes from a wrong memory address from Windows ?
- probabely no ?!?

Is it a good idea to buy a big memory to replace my two memory ?

Can somebody help ?

Sorry for my poor english, I hope you'll understand me.

Regards.

Laurent

May 23rd, 2010 19:00

This thread has a few fixes for this problem. It worked for me.

It seems it has to do with the contact in the memory slots. I fixed my D600 with 2 small rubber pieces in the memory compartment to put some slight pressure on the memory chip/slot. Read thru the thread and I am sure it will help

http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/topic/50498/

Buckaroo B

October 4th, 2013 09:00

I just tried your advice and it worked perfectly! Thanks for the help!!

1 Message

June 10th, 2016 11:00

Swapping the RAM modules did work for me. Thank you :)

No Events found!