Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 11th, 2009 08:00

Latitude D610 - Vista compatible?

I have a Latitude D610 (Pentium-M 770 2.13MHz and 2Gb DDR2 RAM) with integrated graphics (GMA 900). This videochipset is not capable of running Aero in Vista.

According to this document (http://www.uml.edu/it/documents/Dell%20Systems%20Compatibility%20with%20Vista.pdf), the D610 is perfectly capable of running Vista if I have a Ati Mobility Radeon X300 videocard.

Now I was wondering if it is possible to buy a mobile videocard (ATI Mobility Radeon X300) and plug it onto the laptop's motherboard (because some D610 laptops come with this videocard). Or are there other videocards I can choose from?

And if Windows Vista is running, is Windows 7 RC also possible?

Other problem with Vista: I cannot choose Vista as OS to search for drivers. Will the XP-drivers work?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

May 11th, 2009 12:00

If you have Intel integrated video, you can't upgrade internally.  To use a video card, you'd need a full D-dock and a PCI graphics  card and desktop monitor, effectively turning the system into a desktop sysetm. The model with the ATI X300 can run Aero, but it won't be a high performance system - and even that one doesn't have a video card, but rather a soldered-on chip that likewise can't be upgraded short of using a full dock, turning the system into a desktop.

While Vista will run, it won't run ideally on either platform.  And the hardware requirements for 7 look to be the same as they are for Vista.

No Events found!