Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 25th, 2009 18:00

Latitude D610 ac adapter stops working when plugged in

I have a D610 that I bought in June from DFS. It worked okay for a day or two until I realized the battery was not charging.

Tried a new battery and new ac adapter. Same results. When you plug the adapter in the light on it goes out. DFS won't take it back and Tech support wants me to flash the BIOS however it won't do it without a working ac adapter. I have a 100% charged battery available.

Any ideas other then toss it and buy an HP?

Thanks,

Paul

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

If the LED on the adapter goes out on connection to the system, the mainboard is faulty.

If the system works otherwise, the boards aren't that expensive to replace:

http://www.parts-people.com/index.php?action=item&id=3201

If you decide to replace the system, I would do some research before jumping to HP -- they are easily the worst out there for service and support - and the cost of an HP mainboard is more on the order of $800-1,000+, so seriously consider an extended warranty if you buy one.  Every notebook comes with basically the same hardware and will fail at the same rate. 

7 Posts

The system works great otherwise. I sort of got the idea it was bad after talking to tech support the other day. (in fact I sort of knew it before that)

It was my own fault for wating so long to tell them. So it's really no good to even attempt a BIOS update workaround?

No Events found!