Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 4th, 2010 06:00

Latitude D610

I bought two refurbished Latitude D610s 14 months ago.  One turns itself on every weekday morning.  It's not part of a network.  How do I stop auto on?

The second was purchased to run the video program at our church and it won't start up.  It just keeps spooling to the start up screen and then restarting.

I have tried to reload but it won't work.

I am not a computer whiz, so please talk to me like I was in kindergarten.

Mommatoo5

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

March 4th, 2010 07:00

You should post your operating systems when asking a question. Recheck your Power Options in Control Panel to see what program might be turning on the computer. Run the hardware diagnostics including the hard drive extended test from the OS disk on the other.

3 Posts

March 4th, 2010 21:00

Thank you Mary G.  I apologize for not giving enough information.  I run Windows XP pro on the one that turns itself on.   Window XP home on the one that is spooling.

I did check the Power Options and there is nothing listed for auto on, only for shutting down screen, etc.  

On the other one, I do not have the original OS disk.  It came with a windows xp for refurbished machines, and somehow it got separated from the computer at the church.  I do have the disk from the other and from my desktop.  Will they work?  As I said, I am not well trained in computers, so am shooting blind.

3 Posts

March 15th, 2010 09:00

Just in case there really is someone out there, I found the answer to turning off auto-on.  It was in the set up menu, buried under another heading.  I still am unable to get the other laptop to do anything but spool.  I tried the OS disc for the first laptop and even bought a laptop repair disc, but it simply keeps spooling, no matter what "f" key I hit.

I would hate to just toss the church's laptop, but can't seem to find anyone that can help.

No Events found!