Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 14th, 2011 09:00

Latitude D630 deletes text while typing

Hi.  We have a D630 that I recently upgraded to Win7 and gave to my wife for her use.  She reports that she'll be typing an extended block of text, and it will, seemingly at random, be deleted.  This happens across multiple applications (email, Facebook, etc.)  She's a very good typist, and pretty good with computers, so I'm confident that she's not doing something wrong.

I did see a problem like this in the past with a different computer.  What was happening was that my thumb would accidentally hit the touchpad, and the text from where the cursor was at the moment up to where the mouse pointer was located would be highlighted.  The next keystroke would replace the highlighted text.

I don't believe that's what's happening here, as it's pretty frequent, and I explained the potential cause to my wife.  Wondering if anyone has heard of anything like this, and how I might investigate to provide better info to help find a fix.

Thanks in advance...

Chris B

2 Intern

• 

20.1K Posts

February 14th, 2011 10:00

Try disabling the touchpad to see if it still happens. Strange KB behavior can happen when the typist merely brushes the touchpad with her hand. If you have Quickset installed, use that to turn the touchpad off.  If you don't have quickset, it might be good to download and install it for your version of 7. Or look at Mouse Settings in Control Panel.You might be able to choose a setting that makes the TP less sensitive.

In Win 7, Windows Mobility Center is another name for Quickset. Type that in the Start Box to see if it's installed.

5 Posts

February 14th, 2011 12:00

Thanks, Mary.  I found a bunch of other posts about how touchpads can suddenly get far more sensitive following an upgrade to Win7.  I have Windows Mobility Center, but there is nothing about the touchpad in it.  I can see the device in Device Mgr, too, but there's nothing I can change that looks like it would help.

Baffled.

No Events found!