Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 6th, 2010 14:00

Latitude D820, Installed Windows 7, now running hot and shutting off

Hey guys,

I am new to the forum, and I'm having an issue with my D820. 

First, here's some history.  This past spring I had the motherboard and the LCD replaced twice, and I also got a new keyboard.  This was all covered under my 3 year extended warranty, but my warranty ran out in June.  In July, my hard drive failed, so I recently replaced it myself with a Seagate 500GB 7200rpm internal unit.  Then I purchased Windows 7 Home Premium, and this is where my issue starts.

I previously had Vista on my laptop, and it did get hot, but that was after extended periods of use.  Now with Windows 7, it gets REALLY hot and the fan runs hard, and then it shuts off, and won't boot fully until its had time to cool down.  I downloaded I8kfanGUI to monitor the CPU/GPU temps, and it looks like my GPU runs at around 195 degree fahrenheit all the time.  It goes higher with even the slightest bit of activity.  What's the deal?  I popped off my keyboard, and the heat sink is installed correctly, and I don't want to stick cool packs under the laptop to watch movies.

Thanks for any help, and sorry for the long first post.

Cliff Notes:

-Dell D820

-New motherboard/LCD as of spring 2010

-Hard drive died in July, replaced with Seagate 500GB 7200rpm

-Installed Windows 7 Home Premium

-Runs HOT, GPU sits at 190-200F/87-93C at idle

August 6th, 2010 15:00

Hey,

Thanks for your response.  It is possible that they left out the thermal pad or the grease.  Where can I get a new thermal pad/grease?

I've noticed that when the GPU temp. gets to 208-210 it starts to run very slow, and when it gets to about 212 it shuts down.  It seems like setting the fan on high doesn't really take the temperature down.

I have BIOS A07.  I'll update it to A10 at some point.

All I know is that I didn't have this problem before installing Windows 7.  I read elsewhere that Windows 7 puts a heavier graphics load on the system, so that's the only explanation I have.  Maybe it was running hot before, due to incorrect re-installation of the heat sink, but with the new, more taxing, operating system, it runs really hot. 

What if none of this works?  What are my options then?

6.4K Posts

August 6th, 2010 15:00

Your description seems to imply that the heat sink is not installed properly.  You say the machine runs hot even with the fan running at full speed.  To me, this indicates that either the thermal grease or pad was left out of the installation or that the heat sink is full of dust.  I've never seen a situation in which overheating was caused by installation of a new operating system.

The fan speed is normally controlled by a routine in the BIOS.  Applications such as the one you've been using to watch the temperature can sometimes modify this behavior, but operating systems do not generally include code that affects the fan speed.  I examined the list of BIOS updates for the D820 and have found that A05 contained an update to the temperature control routine.  Since your mainboard has been recently replaced I would think that you have a later BIOS version than A05 (A10 is the most recent).

I would start by using a can of compressed air to blow the dust out of the airflow path.  If that didn't help, I would remove the heat sink, clean the top of the processor and the mating surface of the heat sink, and apply new thermal grease or a new thermal pad.

6.4K Posts

August 6th, 2010 20:00

Thermal grease can be purchased at most computer repair shops.  The only name that comes easily to mind is Arctic Silver, but there are others that will do the job.  The clerk at the repair shop can almost certainly recommend one to you.

If your BIOS has worked well for you, resist the temptation to update to another version simply because it is newer.  As I stated earlier, A05 was the only version that mentioned an alteration of the routines that help control temperature.  Since you have already version A07, you already have the updated routines.

No Events found!