Highlighted
teeguy
1 Nickel

Latitude D830 microphone stopped working/USB speaker hiss

I went to make a phone call in Gmail. It dialed up rang but the person at the other end kept saying "hello" "HELLO" <click>. Thats when I realized the mic had stopped working. I dont know if this is related but along about the same time, the Logitech USB speakers Ive been using for years started having background hiss and fine static. I tried the speakers on another computer and they work fine, no noise. The internal speakers are fine. Recently there was an Nvidia update including

Geforce Experience 1.7.1
graphics driver 331.82
Nview 140.84
Physx 9.3.0725
virtual audio 1.2.9

I tried the following:

CP>sound>recording tab, status of Mic: "high definiton audio device currently unavailable"
disabled the Nvidia Virtual Audio in Device Manager
uninstallled Nvidia Virtual Audio in Device Manager
restart Windows Audio Service
restart Windows Explorer
scan for hardware changes
in programs & features uninstalled the whole Nvidia update and restarted
this is when the speakers started to make noise, at no time throughout this did the status of Mic change from "high definition audio device currently unavailable"

Currently, the hi def audio is using M$ driver version 6.1.7601.17514 and the Logitechs are using M$ driver version 6.1.7601.18208

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Jim Coates
5 Osmium

RE: Latitude D830 microphone stopped working/USB speaker hiss

Hello. I don't know why your nVidia graphics driver would cause noises in the usb audio but if you think recent changes to the laptop are responsible then you might be able to undo some of them using Windows System Restore.

You might install the nVidia Quadro driver that Dell supplies for the Latitude D830.

You could run on house current and then battery and see if that makes a difference in the static.

About the mic, I can't remember if the D830 had an internal mic or not. Is that the one that stopped working, or the mic jack?

Try this, right click on the mic that says "currently unavailable" and select it as the default recording device from the sub-menu. If that is not possible then install the Sigmatel audio driver (you are currently using the native Windows driver: "High Definition Audio Device").

I don't know your operating system (Vista?) so go to the Latitude D830 downloads page and select your operating system in the dropdown box (and if you navigate away from that page and then return to it with the browser's back button you have to re-select your OS).

If you are unsure if the drivers were installed in the correct order after the last OS installation, first install the Dell Notebook System Software from the System Utilities category and restart.

Next install the Intel Mobile Chipset driver from the Chipset category and restart. (You can skip these steps if already installed).

Then get the Sigmatel audio driver from the audio category.

After the Sigmatel driver is installed try again to select the mic. If you don't see the device listed then right click in the blank white area where it should be listed and select to show disconnected and disabled devices.

Jim Coates -- 15 years on the Dell Laptop Audio boards -- since 2/6/04 

0 Kudos
teeguy
1 Nickel

RE: Latitude D830 microphone stopped working/USB speaker hiss

I don't know why the nVidia graphics driver would cause noises in the usb audio either, or affect the mic, but "virtual audio" was part of the update, so I started there. Im using Windows 7 SP1 32 bit. I downloaded the Sigmatel driver for Vista and when I ran it, I got "ExitError:Error=Device Object not present, restart the system and run setup again". I restarted and went directly to Microphone in Sound and it is working perfectly. Then I plugged in the USB speakers and there is no noise! Im not even gonna try to figure that out, I'll take it.

Thanks (I think) emoticon.BigSmile.title

(nVidia Quadro NVS 140M ver 9.18.13.3182 is what I have installed.)

0 Kudos