Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 5th, 2012 13:00

Latitude D830 screen stopped working

I have a Latitude D830 and when I turn it on the screen remains blank. It sounds normal as it starts up but nothing appears on the display.  I attached an external display both directly and through my dock and nothing appears on the display.

When I run the ‘BIST’ I can see the colors as the test progresses but when the grey screen appears my computer freezes.

Please help

October 5th, 2012 14:00

Hi,

I would recommend you to perform flea power. Unplug all external peripherals like printers and remove the power cable from the system. Hold the power button down for 10-20 seconds to drain flea power.

If the issue still persists, would suggest you to launch the diagnostics on this system, perform one of the following actions:

• Hold down the Fn key while pressing the power button.
  • Turn on the system, press F12 at the initial Dell logo screen, and select Diagnostics from the boot menu.
  • Disconnect the AC power and remove the battery. While holding down the power button, insert the AC connector into the back of the system. The system then starts and the message- Diagnostic boot selected displays. The system then launches the diagnostics.

Please check for any error codes. If you are not able to see any error codes, check for any beep codes.

Please reply.

Thanks and Regards
Priyanka S
#iworkfordell

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

October 5th, 2012 14:00

Sounds like the video chip has failed - you will need a replacement mainboard.

October 5th, 2012 18:00

I tried to drain the flea power and it didn’t help.

I ran the diagnostic and the results were “ a possible graphics card/video failure has occurred”

October 5th, 2012 18:00

Alas I think you may be right

October 8th, 2012 11:00

Hi,

The error message suggests to be a graphic card failure. Since the graphic card is fused on the motherboard itself, so it needs to be replaced.

I suggest you to check the warranty status on Dell's support site by inserting the system Service Tag.

Please reply for further queries.

Thanks and Regards
Priyanka S
#iworkfordell

1 Message

March 19th, 2013 05:00

I have the same issue.

I have followed the steps litterally and don't get a video signal on the D830 LCD. However I Do get a signal on an external LCD via VGA-out when pressing "FN + F8" (switch between built-in LCD and CRT/LCD).

Still graphicscard? I'm thinking No due to the fact that I'm still getting an external video signal.

Please advice.

*** UPDATE ***

After running a diagnostic with external LCD the problem wenet away.

*** PROBLEM SOLVED ***

September 1st, 2013 10:00

I want help and support from Dell community that's why I have created account  

September 1st, 2013 10:00

After diagnostic the error message was like as follows 

Error code o146

Msg: error code 2000 - 0146

Msg: unit 1 :DST log contains previous error (S)

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

September 2nd, 2013 13:00

Is this the first time you've seen that?  If so, you have a dying hard drive.

September 3rd, 2013 08:00

i am facing black screen problem. but when i connect external lcd it gives the display. only laptop's LCD is not giving display.

please info me if one knows the solution as early as possible. thanks  and i am waiting

3.3K Posts

September 5th, 2013 12:00

Hi waseemlakho,

May I know the exact system model?

2000-0146 error indicates DST Log contains a previous error which refers to previous errors in the hard drive which might not really be a hardware failure. In order to confirm this, I recommend you to run a custom test on the Hard drive.

Restart the computer and press F12 to enter the Boot Menu.

• When the boot device list appears, highlight Diagnostics and press Enter
  • The computer begins to run the Pre-boot System Assessment, a series of embedded diagnostics that perform initial testing on your system board, keyboard, hard drive, and display
  • If the Pre-boot System Assessment completes successfully, you receive the message Booting Dell Diagnostic Utility Partition
  • Press any key to continue
  • Press any key to start the Dell Diagnostics from the Diagnostics utility partition on your hard drive
  • After the Dell Diagnostics loads and the Main Menu screen appears, click the button for the option you want to run -

Express Test: Performs a quick test of devices. The test typically takes 10 to 20 minutes and requires no interaction on your part
Extended Test: Performs a thorough check of devices. The test typically takes 1 hour or more and requires you to answer questions periodically
Custom Test: Tests a specific device. You can customize the tests to be run.
Symptom Tree: Allows you to select tests based on a symptom of the problem you are experiencing.
Select Custome test and then run diagnostics on Hard drive.

When you have finished running a test, close the screen to return to the Main Menu screen. To exit the Dell Diagnostics and reboot the computer, close the Main Menu screen

Please make a note of the error message.

Also, regarding the LCD blank display we need to replace the LCD kit as the display on the external monitor is working fine.

Awaiting your response!

1 Message

September 18th, 2013 01:00

This tip is derived from similar problem with older Dell models described on the internet. (D830 was overheating, and stopped booting)

Disassemble laptop completely (see Youtube movie), including heat sink. Remove layer of dust between fan & heat sink.

Create mask out of alufoil, covering complete motherboard, but leaving open the 3 chips (including CPU & GPU).

Heat all 3 chips separately during approx 5 minutes up to approx. 200 C using a hairdryer or paint stripping gun.

Mount heatsink using new paste, and assemble laptop. Worked for me. Temperature of CPU/GPU remains normal again.

To prevent renewed gathering of dust between fan & heatsink, mount fine screen between fan and case openings.

October 2nd, 2013 18:00

I thought I had a similar problem with my D830, but my computer powered up normally, except that the screen remained backlit only, no Windows window! But I knew that it powered up normally otherwise, because, luckily, I had the Intel network gizmo controlling my Internet connection, not Windows, and it makes a beep once it connects to the Internet. Therefore I just knew that everything worked as it should, except for something wrong with the monitor. I googled the issue and found a site where a guy was doing something called a reflow, where possible, and if that didn't work, he would replace the BGA chip. Check out this Youtube video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOgs5JbHE98.

In the meantime, something Twilight-Zone-like happened to me and my problem: I bought a used, half-decrepit monitor at a thrift store and plugged it up to the D830. I did the chores (anti-virus update) and then went online to download any new firmware for the HP v17 (the external monitor), and while I was monkeying around with this, my D830 screen came on! I had tried to start it cold a few times after it had crashed, but without luck. Somehow, just having that external monitor helped my laptop-lid monitor to "recircuit" itself (about like recircuiting the brain after a stroke?), and so far it seems to be working just fine again. In the meantime, the HP v17 no longer picks up the input signal, so it immediately wants to go into sleep mode! I'm gonna unplug desktop monitor and plug in the HP v17 and see if it works, and if it does, I'll keep it in case my D830 gets another "stroke"!

I hope that this might be helpful to the next person who lands here (Francis has probably solved the problem one way or another)!

The dude

October 2nd, 2013 21:00

Welp, the HP v17 works just hunky-dory (hunkey-dorey?)! So I guess that the D830 doesn't like running the external monitor when its lid-monitor is running optimally. I guess! Actually, I'm clueless, but I'm gonna keep the HP monitor just in case the thing starts acting up again. I even have it "jacked up" on ketchup bottle lids to lift it about 3/4 inch off the surface, and still it may have hotted up (that's what I'm thinking is the problem). I used to turn off the screen, but then it would get persnickety and not even reawaken (I have it set to never-never-never (hibernate, ditten or datten)).

The dude (Btw, I chose my name because I was VERY DISENCHANTED with Dell at the time... viz. NOT DELL ighted. : -)

No Events found!