Laptops General - Read Only

Last reply by 07-16-2016 Solved
Start a Discussion
2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Latitude E5520 Audio Problems After Win 10 Upgrade

I'm having audio problems after upgrading to Win 10 64 bit.

Dell Latitude E5520 IDT 92HDxxx HD Audio
Hardware IDs:
HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_111D&DEV_76E7&SUBSYS_1028049A&REV_1001
HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_111D&DEV_76E7&SUBSYS_1028049A

1) If I use the built-in Win 10 driver ("High Definition Audio Device") I can hear speakers/headphone, and switching between speakers and headphones works fine but my laptop microphone does not work ("Not plugged in").

2) If I use the latest driver from Dell (IDT 92HDxxx HD Audio Driver) I can initially hear through speakers but as soon as I plug in headphones I can't switch back to speakers (i.e. switching between speakers and headphones does not work) and my laptop microphone does work.

I would be happy to provide more info and to assist in debugging.

In a Microsoft Community Forum I received the following reply from Rob Brown - Microsoft MVP:

Hi,
AS OEM Dell is responsible for the proper operation of both the hardware
and Windows. Check with Dell Support, their on-line documentation and
drivers, and ask in their forums about any known issues. Be sure you are
running the latest BIOS, chipset, and major drivers.
Hope this helps.

I understand that the Latitude E5520 does not appear on the Dell "Computers Tested for Upgrade to Windows 10" list... nonetheless I've been hoping that maybe Dell might find it in the goodness of their hearts to come up with an updated IDT 92HDxxx driver... pretty please?

Thanks,
John D.

Replies (18)
3 Argentum

John,

Sorry to learn that it did not work for you. My hardware ID's are identical to yours in my e5520 assembled in mid-2011 in Ireland. I wonder if the upgrade method of Windows could have something to do with this. Since my PC was shipped with Windows 7 originally, it went through an upgrade to Win 8.1 earlier (via Win 8 on the way). As I assumed that two earlier OS upgrades may have left lots of debris, I installed Windows 10 twice; first as an upgrade from Win 8.1 and after that a clean Windows 10 installation using "Reset PC" from inside Win 10.

Steve

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Steve, 

I did a Win 10 upgrade from Win 7. Once I confirmed Win 10 activation I did a clean install onto an unpartitioned SSD. No trouble at all with either process.

I'm actually OK with my situation now - the old Dell IDT driver works, I just have to remember to close everything and be on the desktop when I switch to/from headphones. If I forget, there's a quick way to reset everything. (Of course I still wish Dell would provide an updated Win 10 IDT driver for the E5520.)

Thanks for the input.

John D.

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

I just learned that my microphone on my Latitude 5520 no longer works after upgrade to Windows 10.  I can't believe Dell isn't resolving this.  I agree wholeheartedly with Iain that " am still disappointed that Dell does not seem too interested in at least communicating with Microsoft regarding this issue for a product (E5520) that is sold as a "road warrior's" machine."  Dell says it is Microsoft's problem to fix and Microsoft says it is Dell's problem to fix.  Unbelievable that in 2015 we're still hearing this finger pointing, lack of responsibility from major manufacturers.  Of course there is probably a third party who makes the microphone, but i have no idea who that is. 

This laptop is not old and should be supported.  I can only say I'm glad I'm not the only one who has reported this as a problem.  How long is it going to take Dell to resolve this?

3 Argentum

Steve -

Well this is weird - I had tried the drivers on the MS Update Catalog before without success. In fact I had specifically tried the 6.10.6496.0 driver before but was warned "this driver is not intended for your hardware". I loaded the driver anyway and it caused a full-blown system crash. I tried again last night with the same result.

When referring to my Latitude E5520, Dell often includes the qualifying phrase "(early 2011)". It makes me think that there is a "late 2011" version or "2012 and later" versions of the E5520 (?).

To confirm that I wasn't losing my mind I checked my hardware IDs against the hardware IDs noted on the MS Update Catalog 6.10.6496.0 driver.

My hardware IDs are:
HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_111D&DEV_76E7&SUBSYS_1028049A&REV_1001
HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_111D&DEV_76E7&SUBSYS_1028049A

The hardware IDs shown for the MS Update Catalog 6.10.6496.0 driver are:
hdaudio\func_01&ven_111d&dev_76c7&subsys_103c2ace
hdaudio\func_01&ven_111d&dev_76c7&subsys_103c2af3
hdaudio\func_01&ven_111d&dev_76c7&subsys_103c2b17
hdaudio\func_01&ven_111d&dev_76f3&subsys_103c2af7

The device numbers are different so that explains why the driver crashed my E5520. What I don't understand is how you are successfully using the driver - what are your audio driver hardware IDs?

John D.

The SUBSYS device IDs beginning with "103C" indicate the hardware vendor is Hewlett-Packard [HP].

Your SUBSYS ID of 1028049A begins with "1028" which is hardware vendor for Dell.

The 6.10.6496.0 IDT audio driver will never work on your Dell computer unless you modify the STWRT64.INF file to include hardware ID "HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_111D&DEV_76E7&SUBSYS_1028049A" and doing that will cause the drivers to be non-WHQL (unsigned).

3 Argentum

John,

I got the driver through Microsoft's update catalog at http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/Home.aspx . I would think that it is a rather reliable source. Do a search with "IDT High Definition Audio CODEC" to find all the drivers. A word of warning though; the latest is 6.10.6504.0 which is for Windows 10. That one did not work properly for me, but 6496 did. If you installed previously the old Dell driver, it would be best to uninstall it first. Otherwise you end up having two different IDT Audio Control Panels in Windows; Control Panel.

Steve

The 6.10.6504.0 drivers are NOT designed for use under Dell computers - only for IDT audio devices on few select HP and Toshiba laptops as the hardware SUBSYS device IDs begin with either 103C or 1179 (not 1028).

Dell has to pay Tempo Semiconductor Inc (TSI), the new driver provider for IDT HD audio, to write new drivers for certain Dell machines that have IDT audio chips on there.  So far, Dell hasn't committed into doing that.

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Erpster05 - 

Thanks for the very informative input. I suspected that the 6.10.6496.0 IDT driver on the MS Update Catalog was intended for HP laptops. I don't understand how Steve loaded it on his Dell unless he edited the STWRT64.INF file.

I've been using the original Dell IDT 92HDxxx HD Audio Driver on my Win 10 E5520. It seems to work fine as long as I turn off all audio sources before switching from speaker to headphones or visa versa. If the driver does get borked I can reset it quickly within the playback devices interface (Speaker Properties/Advanced Tab/Restore Defaults). 

Thanks,
John D.

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

I experienced the same problem: after upgrade to Windows 10 64-bit, the microphone on my E5520 did not work so I couldn't use Skype and other video conferencing apps.  Installing the Dell Driver fixed the problem.  For those who need it, the Dell audio driver is here (under audio):

www.dell.com/.../drivers

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Hi John !!

I am getting the same problem while switching to/from headphones after installing windows 10 and this driver. It's 2016 now. I want to ask if this problem is resolved or not properly by dell. Kindly do post the link of the proper driver if there is any in 2016.

Thanks,

Hamza

7 Plutonium

Kindly do post the link of the proper driver if there is any in 2016.

Hello Hamza. Dell does not support Windows 8, 8.1, or 10 on the Latitude E5520 model and cautions that you might lose some functionality if you do install Win10.

The E5520 has IDT audio hardware on the motherboard. The IDT company went out of the consumer audio business before Windows 10 came out, so I doubt that there will ever be a Win10 IDT audio driver for that model.

You can use the IDT Win7 audio driver in Win10, by installing it while using Compatibility mode.

1. Download and save the audio driver to your desktop or any convenient location on the hard drive.  [There are two "formats" on the driver's page. Scroll down to the 2nd one, named "Hard Drive" format, and download that one, not the 1st one named "Windows Update Package".]
2. Double click on the new folder to extract (unzip) the driver files.
3. The extractor wizard will create a new folder for the driver files. It will be at "c:\dell\drivers\xxxxxx". Write down the exact location that the wizard creates.
4. If the driver begins to install automatically, halt (cancel) the installation.
5. Browse to the driver files on the hard drive (the location you wrote down).
6. Find the "setup.exe" file.
7. Right click on setup.exe to open the context menu.
8. Select the Properties.
9. Select the Compatibility tab.
10. Check the box "run this program in compatibility mode for"... Win7.

Jim Coates -- 18 years on the Dell Laptop Audio boards -- since 2/6/04 

Latest Solutions
Top Contributor