Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 18th, 2013 03:00

Latitude E5530 audio problem headphones

Hi,
I have a Latitude E5530, with Windows 7 64-bit.
This notebook was formatted a couple of days ago, and underwent a re-installation from scratch.
I installed all the drivers you can find on the website. The audio works well with the speakers, but you hear no sound if you plugin the headphones. I don't know if it worked before the format; what I know is that running a different operating system (Xubuntu 13.04 64.bit) everything works like a charm, no audio problems whatsoever.

Any clues about what is going on here?

Thanks!

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

August 13th, 2014 05:00

Is there an option on E5530 to change audio output from speakers/headphones to line-in ?

There is no line-in jack on the E5530. It has a single audio jack, known as a headset jack or combo jack. It combines mono mic input and headphone output into one jack. It cannot be used for stereo line-in

Even if you could change the audio output to the mic input jack (which is not possible other than re-wiring the jack), they are both the same jack. The only change that would accomplish is that the output would be mono instead of stereo.

4 Operator

• 

2.6K Posts

July 18th, 2013 05:00

Hi Ing.Dante,

Please follow the below mentioned steps to set the Headphone as the default device:

1. Open Control Panel and select Sound.
  2. When the Sound dialog appears click the Playback tab.
  3. Verify if the Headphone is listed and the right sound card listed under playback devices.
  4. If so, right click the Headphone device and click on default playback device.
  5. If they are not listed, Right click on the blank space and click on show disabled device.
  6. If the Headphone gets listed,
  7. Right click the “Headphone” select “Enable”. Right click the “Headphone” again and select “Set as default device” from the same list.
  8. Click “Ok”. Now remove and reconnect the Headphone and check.

Please post the results.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

set the Headphone as the default device

Hi Nikhil. I have noticed that when someone has the problem of the headphones not working, you Dell guys always post advice to set headphones as the default Playback device. The problem with that is that most of the audio drivers do not allow that option. It would be quite awkward if one had to go into the Sound properties every time one wanted to switch between headphones and speakers. I ask that you see if you can get that advice removed from the scripts or whatever it is that you guys use to get answers.

6 Posts

I eventually solved the problem disabling the headphones, disabling the speakers, enabling the headphones, enabling the speakers and disabling the headphones.

Don't ask me why, it's just a random sequence of steps LOL

Thanks.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

I don't know if it worked before the format; what I know is that running a different operating system (Xubuntu 13.04 64.bit) everything works like a charm, no audio problems whatsoever.

I see a couple of possibilities. One is that the sensing software that switches audio between speakers and headphones is not working right. That software is a Windows thing. When in a non-Windows OS the jacks can function normally.

The other thing is that if the headphones are set to be the default Communication device then you won't hear normal audio through them. I don't know if changing to a different OS affects that feature or not.

I would re-install the IDT audio driver and if the problem persisted then I would lean toward the switching circuitry theory.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

July 18th, 2013 06:00

I keep headphones disabled on my Latitude too, because the only option when they are enabled is to set them Communication Headphones which is not how I want to use the jack because that setting does not allow for normal audio to go to the headphones.  I think that was your problem.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

August 13th, 2014 04:00

Question,

Is there an option on E5530 to change audio output from speakers/headphones to line-in ?

1 Message

September 5th, 2014 16:00

Didn't work...

No Events found!