Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 17th, 2014 13:00

Latitude E5530

My laptop's screen doesn't operate when I turn it on. The power light shines but the hard-drive and battery light doesn't operate as-well. The screen just stays black. The only way of getting the screen to come on is to take the battery out, hold the power button down for 20 seconds and then attach the power lead with no battery. I have to do this each time for it to work. Is there any solution and does anybody know the problem? 

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

Does the system operate normally when the battery is left out?

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

How old is the battery? It sounds like it might have failed. Leave it out and use the adapter alone and see if that works. If you need the mobility, buy a genuine dell replacement battery for about $100 or more or consider replacing the  laptop. Batteries can wear out after 2-3+ years. Run the Diagnostics to test all the hardware. You might decide it is more economical to replace the computer especially if other hardware is failing.

August 17th, 2014 14:00

The laptop operates but the display is still black

3 Posts

April 6th, 2015 19:00

Did You Ever Find A Fix For This? Happening To Me

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

April 9th, 2015 12:00

From the way that you are describing it, it sounds like the system may be asleep and not fully turned off.  Do you typically leave the notebook running, or do you place it to sleep, or power it fully off?

As a test once you have the system up and running correctly, shut the system down, click the Windows button on the bottom right, choose Shut down and then Shut down again.  All lights on the notebook should power off after a brief display.  Let the system rest a minute or so and then power it on again, do you have the problem? When shutting down or power up the notebook does the system give any messages?

If you are able to get the system up and running I certainly suggest running diagnostics. please take a look at this document if you aren't familiar with running the diagnostics. Please report back here with the results.

TB

3 Posts

April 9th, 2015 12:00

iagnosed it as the processor. Any thoughts on this? The light that i call the thinking light only lights for one second after turning it on. I have run the screen diagnostics and used an external monitor.  The screen test works, showing the range of colors but the others do nothing for it.  I will be leaving for Belize and El Salvador this weekend and would love to have it working for power point presentations etc.  Thanks again for your help and any information you can provide.

Kevin Pierce

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

April 9th, 2015 13:00

You mentioned that you saw the range of colors, was this on the LCD or the external monitor?  Other than the range of colors did you have any text or any type of display?  Did diagnostics beep before you noticed the range of colors?

This document is a fair guide on troubleshooting steps to try to determine what is causing the notebook not to turn on. The thing to determine is if this is a power issue, a no video issue or a no post (system isn't turning on at all) issue.

From what you mentioned the system is getting some video so you ruled out no power and that the system isn't turning on, so it sounds like a video issue.   If you get an image on an external monitor replace the LCD,  if the only image you get is running diagnostics, and the system beeped before you saw an image on the LCD, that will likely be that the video card is defective.

TB

3 Posts

April 9th, 2015 20:00

No sir, had the colors on the laptop monitor. No text at all. Only keys

that are responsive are the lights behind the keys.

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

April 10th, 2015 09:00

If the only time that you have had any image on the LCD panel was starting diagnostics, the colors was likely the system running the BIST test on the LCD screen.   This implies that the laptop monitor is working correctly and that there is a problem with the graphics processor on the notebook.  You are going to need a service to replace the video chip, or if video is integrated on the system board, then the system board will need to be replaced.

I am sending you a friend request so I can get your information, if you are in the US I may be able to help, and I will be happy to research possible service options.   Please understand that any service options will be limited if the system is out of warranty.

TB

No Events found!