Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 24th, 2016 12:00

Latitude E5540: "Power connected, battery not charging" at 39%

Hi there,

I have some serious trouble with my Latitude E5540. In Windows (10, 64bit), it says that it's working on AC, but does not charge. It stays at 39%.

I've done some reading on the Internet and found several approaches which I followed. I updated BIOS and cleaned the connectors of the battery, which obviously didn't help.

Now, I've really run out of ideas and cannot come up with anything more. I've contacted Dell support, but I guess they won't help because the device is more than two years old and I only had 1 year NBD service.

Something I haven't tried is uninstalling the battery hardware from the device manager. Is this a serious option?

I'm looking forward to hearing from you. Any suggestion is most welcome! Thanks in advance.

Greetings,

Achim

March 25th, 2016 21:00

Hi Achims, 

Thanks for writing to us. 

Did the issue start post upgrading to windows 10 ? 

Please check the status of battery health and the charger in BIOS and let us know. 

In windows what does the charging status says ? Plugged in not charging or plugged in charging?

If possible please try another charger/battery . 

Does the system run individually on battery and charger?

Await your response. 

Regards

March 26th, 2016 23:00

Hi, We are awaiting your response still

7 Posts

March 27th, 2016 02:00

Hi there,

Sorry, it's Easter Holidays here :-)

Regarding your points:

Did the issue start post upgrading to windows 10 ? -> I cannot remember. I got the notebook and immediately upgraded to Windows 10. I could try Ubuntu from live USB if you think this might work?

Please check the status of battery health and the charger in BIOS and let us know. -> It says both battery and charger work perfectly. I think the battery status is "excellent".

In windows what does the charging status says ? Plugged in not charging or plugged in charging? -> "Plugged in, not charging" ("Netzbetrieb, wird nicht geladen" in German)

If possible please try another charger/battery. I tried three different chargers with no effect, and don't have a spare battery lying around :-/

Does the system run individually on battery and charger? -> What do you mean, 'individually'? I can run the system with only the battery, with only the charger (battery plugged off), and with the battery plugged in and the charger as well.

Thanks for your response(s)! It's very kind of you :-)

7 Posts

March 27th, 2016 03:00

I discharged the battery a bit, using the notebook without the charger. The battery went down to 34%, I plugged the charger in, and the battery went up to 39%. Now, it's again stuck at "Plugged in, not charging".

Thought this might be important.

March 27th, 2016 20:00

Hello, Nice to hear from you. The battery seems to be the culprit here. Should you wish to go ahead with purchasing battery do do PM us the system tag# by clicking on my name in blue and then select send a private message. 

Though you mentioned you do not have a spare battery, can you borrow one from somebody or take it to a local store to try (if possible)

7 Posts

March 29th, 2016 02:00

Hi,

That's tough ... a broken battery after only 2y2m ...

Thanks for the information, anyway. I'll consider my options.

Best,

Achim

March 30th, 2016 21:00

Hello Achim, Nice to hear from you.
Sure anytime in future should you wish to buy do give us a shout.
Have a good one.

3 Posts

May 27th, 2016 02:00

Dear Hema,

I have the same issue. A Latitude E5540 laptop. And the battery will not charge. I have 3% power  left on the battery. Battery health is excellent according to DELL Power Manager. I also tested the battery via DELL's website. I got same result.

I have upgraded to win 10. With win 7, there was no problem. Now, I need to use the computer via docking station or with a power supply. I can see  at your web-site, that E5540 is not tested with win 10 and that DELL therefore doesn't recommend an upgrade from win 7. But I just upgraded after long time spam from MS without chekking your website.

A solution could be to downgrade again I assume but I would like to keep win 10.

Do you have an easy solution to downgrade if recommended. Restoration to win 7 is not easy because the win 7 backup was automatically removed form my laptop 28 days after the upgrade.

7 Posts

May 28th, 2016 08:00

Dear Jens,

I'm sorry to hear that you face the same issue. I wonder if it's really a Windows 10 problem, and if it can be resolved with a new battery at all.

Regarding the downgrade, I'm afraid there is no way to do this after the reset point has been deleted after the 28 days period.

Best,

Achim

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

May 28th, 2016 12:00

:emotion-2:

Desktop mode and Longevity mode should look like the screen below. It also should say "Battery Is Performing Normally" in Battery Health

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

May 28th, 2016 12:00

" That's tough ... a broken battery after only 2y2m ..."

A laptop battery lasting 2 years, 2 months is a long time now days. The battery in a older laptop seem to last forever. I'm assuming you're making sure before buying a new battery. Here are a few more suggestions:

1) Make sure Airplane mode switch is turn off. Click the windows logo,Settings, and then Network & Internet.

2) Type troubleshooting control panel onto the (Cortana) search bar, click on "View All", and then "Power"

3) Check the Battery Status, Battery Health, Desk Mode and Longevity Mode on the Battery Meter's app. Right click the windows logo, click on Power Options, and then " Dell Extended Battery Life". If there's a check mark then uncheck it, and then restart the system.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

May 28th, 2016 13:00

I also like to suggest you run a custom test (Diagnostic) on the Battery and AC charger. Please follow steps below:

1. Power off computer

2. Power on computer, quickly start tapping the F12 key continuously. You should see Diagnostics,  move arrow keys on it and hit enter.

After the quick test has completed, select Battery, check ‘Thorough Test mode’ and click Run tests. Report back any error codes

3 Posts

May 29th, 2016 12:00

A solution could include that DELL updated the chipset drivers. 

I am looking forward.

Jens

3 Posts

May 29th, 2016 12:00

I did that and there was no error code. Battery status was: "excellent".

Now by laptop can not find any battery. (and yes - the battery is in the computer)

No Events found!