Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 14th, 2012 10:00

Latitude E6220 + Dell (PRO2X) Dock = No Video on External Display during POST

So in a nutshell, I have already spoken with "Tech Support" in regards to this, and I'm guessing I'm not the first and certainly won't be the last.

The issue being whenever I have my laptop "docked" and have an external monitor connected (no matter if it's DVI, DisplayPort or VGA - I've tried all three) it will NOT display anything on the external monitor until it passes POST, at which point the external monitor only turns-on once at the Windows log-on screen. Funny thing is if I flip-open the lid on the laptop, the internal LCD panel will display all the POST information, until said point where the external monitor connected to the dock will turn-on and the internal LCD panel will power-off.

I have a case number, and was given the option to send-out my laptop to depot (repair) to have the motherboard replaced, but no guarantee that would even resolve the issue.

I have already attempted numerous BIOS updates (all versions available, and finally ended-up leaving it at A08 since none of them were making any difference anyhow) and also went as far as updating to the latest Intel drivers to humor myself (but that would make no difference since these drivers aren't even loaded when going through the POST sequence.)

I was told that this seems to be an on-going issue with most of the Latitude E6x20 series, and that supposedly a (soon-to-be-released) BIOS Update (A09) would address the issue. I chose NOT to send the laptop off to depot and try to wait it out a bit longer, since I don't see how replacing the motherboard would "fix" this per-se (unless someone would like to tell me of a success story they've had doing-so.)

Also, for the record, I use a Dell Latitude E6510 for work (which does NOT experience the same issue), and tried my E6220 with the (PRO3x) dock and a Dell 2007FP monitor, but it made no difference what-so-ever (via DVI nor VGA.)

Anyone experiencing similar (or the same) issue(s) ? I'd be happy to know I'm not alone, and if anyone has found a said "fix" for this issue...

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

June 19th, 2012 16:00

Normally I would assume something like this would be the way that Nvidia Optimus is designed.  Optimus needs Windows to run correctly,  Optimus controls the GPUs, no Optimus, no video. The problem here of course is that the E6220 doesn't have a discreet NVIDIA GPU, so it doesn't have Optimus.

At the moment I can't tell you if you should send the system to the depot or the system is working as designed.  I have sent a message to my contacts in engineering for help.  If a BIOS update is on the way to correct something like this hopefully I will get information on that as well.  I will post back here as soon as I have more info.

TB

June 21st, 2012 08:00

Did you happen to get any word on this issue yet Terry?

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

June 22nd, 2012 16:00

I had a coworker check on a E6220 at the lab for me.  He had the system docked and booted to the BIOS and was able to hit FN and F8 and was able to switch between the LCD and an external monitor outside of Windows.

So if you have not tried it yet start the system docked and try hitting FN and F8 together and see if you can get a video feed to the external monitor.  If no matter what you try, you can't get an image on the external monitor before Windows loads you may want to consider sending the notebook to the depot.

TB

June 22nd, 2012 19:00

Terry,

I was able to accomplish the same thing while IN the BIOS screen (i.e. boot to the BIOS and hit FN and F8 to switch between the internal LCD and an external monitor outside of Windows), however when the laptop is booting it still will NOT display anything on the external monitor during the POST, so my initial issue still stands.

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

June 25th, 2012 08:00

I don’t think I would suggest sending the system to the depot.  If you are able to get external video while in the BIOS it shows that the hardware is functional.  I can't see switching out the system board will help with this.  

Are you able to see the F12 or F8 menus?  If not are you able to use FN + F8 while in those menus?  Since you are likely using an external keyboard while docked I would make sure that you have FN key emulation enabled in the BIOS, it is located under the Post Behavior section of the BIOS. This will allow you to use the scroll lock key on your external keyboard as if it was the function key on the notebook.  I would also suggest checking if POST hotkeys are enabled under the Post Behavior section.

I hope that these suggestions help.

TB

June 25th, 2012 19:00

Tery,

I was able to accomplish what you stated by using the "Scroll Lock" as a "Function" key on my external keyboard. :emotion-6:

I know you're trying, just like I keep hoping a BIOS update will resolve this. Any word or tentative date for said BIOS Update?

Thanks

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

June 26th, 2012 08:00

I have no information of a BIOS update.  You are able to get into the BIOS and have a display showing the BIOS. What is it that you are trying to do before Windows boots?  What exactly is it that you are looking for that you aren't seeing? I want to help but I need to understand the problem better.

TB

June 26th, 2012 10:00

Tery,

All I'd like to be able to do is see the Dell splash screen (which would allow me to boot into the BIOS, setup, etc.) on my external monitor BEFORE Windows boots. Case-in-point: I use a Dell Latitude E6510 for work, and while docked, I am able to see the entire boot process from power-up / start (Dell splash-screen, POST messages - if any) to finish (Windows login screen.) THAT is all I would like to be able to accomplish, and I'm not sure why one (newer) generation would not be capable of doing the same thing. Funny enough, the E6510 I use at work uses an NVIDIA (Dedicated) Graphics Card, instead of (Integrated) Intel HD Graphics Card like in my (personal) E6220. If you need any further (personal) contact information, please let me know and I'd be happy to provide you with it.

Thanks

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

June 26th, 2012 16:00

From what I have been told, you will need to undock the system or simply use the internal display to be able to see the splash screen while booting.  I certainly understand older systems allowing you to do this,  this seems to be the way the chipset was designed on this model.

I don't suggest sending the system into the depot, I really don't think it will make a difference.

TB

June 27th, 2012 09:00

Tery,

I understand, and I'm hoping to work with Dell (and yourself, if possible) towards a better resolution. I have left you a message in the "conversations" inbox.

Thank you.

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

June 28th, 2012 16:00

intellectronik

I have received further information and it does look as the system is working as designed.  That if you need to work with the system outside of an operating system you will need the have the LCD open or the notebook undocked.

TB

1 Message

July 31st, 2012 11:00

This is also a problem when our users are using PGP, which happens before POST. Does this only happen with NVidia chip set?

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

July 31st, 2012 11:00

Duckman

Welcome to the community.  The E6220 only has Intel HD so in this situation it is not an Nvidia issue.  Have you tried BIOS revision A08?  The driver may be downloaded from the following link.

www.dell.com/.../latitude-e6220

Fixes/Enhancements ------------------ 1. Addressed LAN cable disable wireless LAN issue. 2. Addressed Video display switch issue. 3. Addressed UEFI OS boot and hibernation issue. 4. Addressed F12 administrator boot options issue. 5. Fixed the issue where UEFI OS hang during installation when fastboot is minimal. 6. Fixed the issue where Dell Wireless Keyboard can't work in BIOS. 7. Updated to the 7.1.40.1161 version of the Intel MEFW.

Fix #2 may help with the issue, if you haven't tried already please give it a shot and let me know if it makes a difference.

TB

August 10th, 2012 09:00

Terry,

Any word on when a possible BIOS update / revision may finally be released? I've been patiently waiting and checking the Drivers / Updates section almost daily...

1 Message

October 26th, 2012 11:00

We are also having the same issue.  Our laptop users have PGP installed and the prompt won't display on the monitor when docked.  Any update to this issue would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

No Events found!