I have Apple Airport Extreme Access Points that work fine with everything except the new Dell laptops with the Intel WiFi 5300 AGN. I have to use WPA2 Personal for security reasons. I can't disable Bluetooth or set it to not use N because that would affect the users elsewhere. I have tried right out of the box systems, removing the DCP Connection manager, unchecking the boxes on the Power Management tab, upgrading to latest driver from Intel, nothing works. When will Dell and Intel come up with a fix for this. I expect it to work right out of the box and have paid for it so I want it fixed by them. I even worked with Dell support and they couldn't get it to work correctly.
We were seeing this issue consistently on a Latitude E6400 with the Intel 5300 AGN card when trying to hold a connection over WiFi. We managed to diagnose it as a power management issue and resolved the problem by disabling the power management features.
Here is a walkthrough of the steps we followed, hopefully they will be helpful for both you and others in this thread:
I've been researching this problem _forever_ ! Tried the power control slider and all that other stuff. Finally, I think your suggestion to change the thing to just use 802.11b / g has done the trick. I was finally noticing that the connection dropping seems to depend on whether my computer is running on battery or not and whether I had it set to Max Performance or Max Battery in the power management quick settings. With this change though it all seems to be fixed (for the past 15 min anyway). Thanks hdxtac.
Just wanted to let you know that I have a very similar disconnection issue with an Intel Wifi Link 5300 AGN on a LG laptop and WRT54G running DD-WRT firmware. Seems that the issue occurs only sometimes, maybe from 30 mins up to a few hours between disconnect. I then need to repair the connection to get it back to work. I think this problem appeared with the latest Intel WIFI drivers. I am using Win XP SP3.
Sorry to drop in on a very old thread but we recently ran into this issue in our environment when we began doing upgrades and yearly maintenance to our laptops. The issue was occurring with the 13.3A08 Dell package (Intel 15.3.1 version). We dropped our users back to Dell's 13.0A01 package and it began working great. Hope this helps someone out there.