We have 802.11g wireless on our network and we had problems connecting to it and it's WEP encrypted. This seems to work with the Intel 5100 card and I don't know if there is a setting for the Intel 5300 card for it or not, but you could look around and see if there is.
In device manager under network adapters double click on Intel(R) WiFi Link 5100 AGN, this will bring up the properties page. On the advanced tab under the Property field scroll to the bottom option called Wireless Mode. To the right of that there is a Value field, uncheck Use default value and from the drop down menu select 802.11b and 802.11g and hit OK and close device manager.
So for you instead of double clicking on the 5100 card, click on the 5300 card and there might be a setting for your card that could be use only 802.11n or something like that. Try it and let me know.
Don't have all the details yet, but it sounds like the same issue we are having. We have both E4300's and E6400's using the 220.127.116.11 driver that have no problem with ftp or pinging things by dns or ip but for some reason all http web browsing is very patch and intermittent. It will work for 10 minutes then fail for 10 minutes. During that time you can ping or ftp no problem by ip or dns. even with dnsflush. Also, the http problem is both LAN and WAN affected. It is not a firewall issue (tested over and over again). Help! I haven't searched the forums that well so if someone has found a solution please link it! More info: disabling wireless and hardlining into the wireless access points both dlink and linksys fixes the issue, so it definitely seems wireless related.
Well, I bit the bullet and got a Belkin N (from Netgear G) which eliminated the whole router dropping and taking the network down. It didn't completely fix losing that single node (the laptop with the Intel card). I then used some of the fixes from Villanim, the big one being to download the driver from Intel, delete Intel's software, and let Windows manage the connection. I then tweaked the settings on the card and it seems to be working. (I did not switch from WPA2 since the other fixes worked). Thanks to all who made suggestions. This network novice has greatly benefitted from them.
This is what I did and so far it seems to have made it 95% better. I tried updating the drivers, but that didn't seem to make any difference.
You will need to change this setting in the wireless cards driver - From the Advanced tab of the wireless card driver, make the following changes: Power Management - Highest.
Hope that helps others.
Just FYI - I found that the disconnects were due do with the fact that I used WEP encryption. Once I reconfigured my wireless router and my laptop to use WPA2 encryption, the problem was solved. The Dell engineer I worked with suggested that the encryption I was using was the culprit and he was right.
have you all checked out this:
as we have the same problem, but the problem disappears when disabling the bluetooth adapter. So the problem occurs everytime the bt polls for devices or something like this.
We found the same thing. What is disappointing is that a lot of the world still uses WEP and for all our staff memebers, there is no way of knowing what they might run into during their travels abroad. It would be nice if there was an additional solution besides the two we talked about where the battery life was good and people could work on any access point regardless of encryption type. I am hoping Dell will work with Intel and figure something out on this one.
Oh forgot to mention, we don't have bluetooth on our laptops.
After some reading It looks like the problem is in the power configuration.
I looked in to the advance settings of the card and I had to disable couple of settings.
So for the XP version
Right click on your wifi
Minimum Power Consumption (disable)
Power Save Mode (disable)
ok guys, save all the trouble, uninstall all DCP (Dell Control Manager), turn laptop off and on, reset wireless using window, and it works like a charm.