Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

January 7th, 2009 15:00

Latitude E6400 won't go to sleep

My work gave me a new Latitude E6400. They replaced Vista with XP so I don't know if that is a possible cause, but whenever I try to put the computer to sleep (whether stand by or even hybernate), it freezes. You can see that it is preparing to stand by, locks up, never powers down, and can't get out of it. I have to hold the power button down and force a shut down.

I've been over the power management options, updated and reviewed the Bios, but am not sure where to go next. Is it a driver issue? I would hate to have to try and replace/update each and every one.

2 Posts

January 7th, 2009 18:00

I'm not sure how helpful this is.... but similar freezing issues have been occurring widescale on the E4300 (see this thread here: http://en.community.dell.com/forums/p/19245498/19383647.aspx?PageIndex=2). Granted there is a slightly different behaviour set, but the freezing occurs after a period of time, and you are forced to hold the power button.

Dell have advised this is due to an issue which is being resolved by a later version of the BIOS (A06 BIOS, due for release 19/1). I'd suggest contacting Dell Support to ascertain whether the E6400's are also suffering with the same issue as the E4300s (I don't have any 6400s in my environment here, so I can't confirm for you unfortunately). But the symptoms does sound awfully close to what many customers who have E4300s are suffering from.

Sorry I can't help further!

January 8th, 2009 06:00

The BIOS listed for the E6400's is currently A11 released in December. I updated to that but it didn't help.

Also updated the Quadro nVidia driver.

I've played with trying to put it to sleep whether plugged in to power or just on battery, with or without USB items plugged in, with or without being plugged into the network, with or without wireless on, at home as well as at work. Always the same result.

January 8th, 2009 07:00

I'm having the same issue with my E6400 with Quadro Nvidia 160m. I will report any success I have with fixing this. I did come across the following on the web, but haven't tried it yet (applied to a D830):

1. Disable nView COMPLETELY - all the startup programs related to nView (NvCpl, NvMcTray, nwiz) and the NVIDIA Display Driver Service (NVSvc). This is a necessary step to resolving the freeze issue but may not be the only step.
  2. Update the nVidia driver - I know that I had tried disabling nView but that did not resolve my freeze issue. I then performed several steps and one of them was to update the nVidia Quadro NVS 140M driver to 174.31 XP WHQL, A05, and I suspect that might have been a critical step.
  3. Apply Windows XP SP3 - again, I am not sure if this is needed to resolve the freezes, but I know I did this and it is probably not a bad thing to do if you are running XP.
  4. Change power options - again, may not be necessary, but I tend to do this anyways - turn off hard disk sleep in power options.
  5. Apply BIOS update - patched my BIOS to A13 - this one I really doubt had anything to do with fixing my issue but I did do this before my issue was finally resolved.

January 8th, 2009 07:00

According to Dell the most recent BIOS is A11, so I updated that already.

Already did all the power options.

SP3 was done long ago.

Already updated the nVidia Quadro NVS 160M to the most recent 6.14.11.7626, A03

I don't know if I got all the right programs disabled. Went in to task manager and shut down nvsvc32.exe.

Still no luck with solving this.

January 8th, 2009 12:00

I didn't have any luck either. What i ended up doing was going to XP's system restore. I remembered the last day that i knew suspend worked and was able to do a successful restore to that day. I'm not sure what changed or was corrupted, but suspend is working fine now. Control Point is behaving a little differently (e.g. the touchpad shows up when scrolling whereas it didn't before, and now my audio sounds better but is very quiet despite full volume.) I've been reloading a few things like printer drivers and the like, checking suspend after each one, so i'll let you know if the issue reappears.

I hate to say it, but maybe a clean install is in order? I would make sure to install the dell system utility immediately after install which i didn't do, and maybe is the source of some of my problems. The link is here:

6 Posts

January 11th, 2009 03:00

I hate to say it, but maybe a clean install is in order? I would make sure to install the dell system utility immediately after install which i didn't do, and maybe is the source of some of my problems.

Don't bother! I encounter the same problem. I erase the vista and install the xp sp3. Can't go into standby. And I install all the drivers stricly in the order. I must have to say, Dell is so disappointing!

6 Posts

January 11th, 2009 03:00

But I didn't install the controllpoint connection manager. Do any of you guys having the same problem not install this application?

January 13th, 2009 11:00

I came across a solution to this problem!

The problem is that windows update installs updated drivers for the creative webcam. What you need to do is a driver rollback in device manager, ending up at version 1.3.2.919.

Good luck, hope this works!

January 13th, 2009 16:00

That did it!!!!

It turns out it was the integrated webcam all along. I still had a problem rolling it back (it ended up going to an even older version), but then I went to Dell and got that driver and now it's working.

Thank you so much! Dell was almost ready to come out and start replacing the hard drive and other components (which would have meant a lot of reinstalling software and settings). Then it probably would have happened again with updates.

2 Posts

January 15th, 2009 04:00

Worked like a charm. Name the price and it's yours my friend. Someone might want to let Dell techs know this article exists since I had to find this on my own after my girlfriend spent 2 lovely hours with Dell last night.

6 Posts

January 15th, 2009 05:00

So it does work, huh! I'm so dumb. I didn't have the patience to wait for the right reply and I went straight reinstall the windows :(

But I don't think dell is gonna take responsibility for this, since this drive isn't from dell drive download.

16 Posts

January 15th, 2009 16:00

FYI, this works for the E6500 model as well.

Good find, ChrisSixPack!

4 Posts

January 22nd, 2009 08:00

Chris, thanks for the tip. I was having the same problem on my work laptop.

When I rolled mine back, the driver was older than the one you posted the answer to, but it worked.

My Dell E6400 came with Windows XP service pack 3, 4 Gigs of RAM, NVIDIA Quadro NVS 160M, BIOS A11, and Intel network chips. The specs are for those that might be searching for the solution like I did. :emotion-2:

1 Message

February 20th, 2009 06:00

I had almost the same problem with the same model and none of the tips here helped. That is, my computer went into hibernation seemingly fine, but when going out of it only restarted. This is most likely due to the old version of SafeGuard Easy (a disc encryption program) that's installed on my PC. Versions prior to 4.30 didn't handle hibernation on certain harddisks. For details, see:  http://go.utimaco.com/support/faq/detail.aspx?ID=107395

As an apropos, now that companies buy PCs with Vista from Dell and reinstall them with XP, a lot of people will have driver and software problems. My company had forgotten to install both SP3 and the bluetooth drivers, so for general problems with new office models from Dell, missing installations is a likely culprit.

100 Posts

February 24th, 2009 04:00

My E6400 XP has just started displaying the same problem, won't hibernate or standby in battery mode.  (Funnily enough it does work in the docking station.)

This happened just after I updated Nvidia display driver for Quadro 160M to A05 6.14.11.7653 from Dell, but may not be related.

I rolled back webcam to 1227.

More info to tollow after testing

No Events found!