lahorenc
1 Copper

Latitude E6410 SSD bios problem

Jump to solution

I have a big problem with the E6410 and Kingston SSD drive.
When you turn on the laptop, he normally recognize and boot the system, but when the windows go to restart the HD indicator lights up and the BIOS does not recognize the drive.
This is definitely a problem BIOS.
Does anyone have any idea how to solve this problem?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
solute
1 Copper

RE: Latitude E6410 SSD bios problem

Jump to solution

All,

We did find the fix to this problem. There is a known issue with the latest firmware that Kingston released. You need to downgrade the firmware on the drive to a older version. We opened a support case with Kingston and they provided a zip file with instructions and how to apply. 

I hope this helps.

View solution in original post

15 Replies

Jump to solution

Hello,

I would recommend that you go to the FAQ section of these notebook boards and follow the link for what to do if your system won't start up.  it will provide you with articles and troubleshooting steps to help determine what the root cause is for the problem you're seeing.

You may also want to check out the product support pages for the E6410.   It has information on how to run diagnostics on the system, download new drivers (if needed), and contains the manuals for that model.  

That should help you try to find out what the cause is of your problem, and hopefully resolve it.  Please stop back and let us know if any of this helps, and if not we'll see what else we can do to help you out.

Todd

0 Kudos
lahorenc
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Hello

This is a BIOS problem and has nothing to do with drivers or OS. I have the latest BIOS installed.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hello,

If you have the latest BIOS installed, and it's working normally (i.e. recognizes other devices, etc.) then does the BIOS recognize other drives if installed?

You mentioned in your original post "When you turn on the laptop, he normally recognize and boot the system but when the windows go to restart".  Do you mean that on a fresh start it it *does* recognize the HDD but its only not recognized when you restart Windows?

I just want to make sure I am understanding your issue correctly.

Todd

0 Kudos
lahorenc
1 Copper

Jump to solution

When I turn on laptop, bios found disk and boot Windows. And this is ok. Then I start Windows update, download and install updates and Windows restart (reboot). After that bios not recognize SSD and after minute show "no boot disk". Then I power down laptop, and when I turn on everything work normal.

So, restart, reboot, NOT work.

During reboot HDD led light is always on, and after that no SSD...

I hope you understand now.

Thank's  

0 Kudos
BeefyBear
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I had the same problem with some Kingston V300 120GB SSD's and E6410's with the latest BIOS. I solved this issue by first formatting the SSD's with a USB Drive Dock, then installed them into the E6410's, then installed the OS, boots and reboot every time with no more issues. Also, if the drive seems loose because it's thinner than the slot, stick on the plastic spacer that comes with the SSD, to prevent it from moving and to ensure your drive is properly connected.

Hope this helps.

0 Kudos
lahorenc
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I formated and instalate drive with no problem. Also stick the plastic spacer. And if I restart system no boot device.

0 Kudos
controlcb
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I have the same problem. I bought a Kingston V300 SSD and fitted it to a E6410 laptop. I formatted it from within the laptop and installed Windows on it.

To confirm, when the system is started after a cold boot, the BIOS sees the SSD and allows Windows to start. When the system is rebooted (i.e. a warm reboot) the BIOS cannot find  the SSD and the OS does not start. To boot the laptop I have to turn the power off and on again.

Beefybear, can you confirm that your laptop boots properly after a warm restart? I want to be sure before removing and reformatting the SSD.

Thanks!

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi,

I found this link doing a google search.   Have you tried it?

Todd

0 Kudos
lahorenc
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Hi

No because my problem is something different. My BIOS found SSD on bootup. Problem is restart...

0 Kudos