Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 20th, 2017 15:00

Latitude E6420 Says that my SSD is "Incompatible".

Hello all,  

Recently acquired an E6420.  Used a HDD temporarily, and got Windows loaded and a few programs installed.  I purchased an SSD for the system, and mirrored the HDD directly to the new SSD when it shipped.  I have now installed the SSD, and upon posting, the system will notify me that it has detected the drive (SanDisk SDSSDX24) but will show that the drive is "Incompatible" in red lettering under the status column.  The system will not boot and will tell me to insert a bootable media device.  To put it simply, what is going on, and why is this happening? How can I resolve it?

3 Posts

September 20th, 2017 19:00

Interesting.  I was actually able to solve my issue simply by resetting the drive to a "non-raid" device via the Intel Drive manager for RAID.  This booted the drive first try, and all I had to do was resize the partition to the full size of the SSD.  Everything functions as it should and speeds are on par.  The operating system was 7 ultimate 64.

2 Intern

• 

20.1K Posts

September 20th, 2017 19:00

What Operating System? You should not mirror the old drive to a drive with diff size/type. Clean install the OS from disk or download and add your files from backups and copies and reinstall programs. E6420 should have the latest bios update. Windows 10 is not supported for this model.

www.dell.com/.../driversdetails

No Events found!