Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 23rd, 2012 16:00

Latitude E6420 easiest driver install method after fresh Win 7 install on new hard drive?

I have a Latitude E6420 running Windows 7. I installed a larger hard drive today and put the original (working) drive in an external USB enclosure. I wanted a clean install of Windows 7 on the new drive so rather than use a drive migration utility I used the Dell Operating System Reinstallation DVD. When it was done I discovered that it didn't install any drivers. The network drivers aren't installed, so I can't download the drivers from the internet, and I don't have the Dell Driver Reinstallation CD.

1) Is there a way to use the Recovery Partition on the old drive (now in the external enclosure) to do a factory fresh install on the new drive?

or (maybe even better)

2) Is there somewhere I can download an .iso file for the second E6420 recovery disk (containing Drivers/Factory-installed Apps?)

or (least desirable)

3) What drivers would I need to download (on another computer) and manually transfer/install to the E6420 via an external USB drive so I can connect over Wifi to download the rest of the drivers directly onto the E6420?

Thanks for your help!

May 23rd, 2012 19:00

Dear jedijunk, Recovery option works only when old hdd it is in laptop. You do not have readily available .iso file with factory installed drivers. Drivers for Latitude E6420 available in dell support site, download them in another computer, then copy to new hdd, then perform installation.

But the easiest & simple method is to fix the old hdd in laptop, use Hiren Boot CD or any other Disk Image Utility, copy the C:\ drive (of old hdd) disk image in another partition of old hdd, then remove old hdd & fix new hdd in laptop, use restore the disk image to new hdd. Hope this info helps you.  

2 Posts

May 23rd, 2012 19:00

Venkat,

As I stated in my post, I want a fresh (and preferrably factory-original) install of Windows 7. Your suggestion of using a Disk Image Utility isn't going to provide that, is it?

May 24th, 2012 00:00

Dear, you could contact DELL tech support & get the link for factory image download.  

4.4K Posts

May 24th, 2012 08:00

Hi jedijunk,

Welcome to the Community,

Latitude E6420 was shipped with either Dell wireless card or Intel wireless card.

If its the Dell wireless card use the link below to download the driver:

If its the Intel wireless card use the link below to download the driver:

Once you're online after installing the wireless card driver,make sure you install the Dell system software(under System Utilities in the list of drivers) and Chipset driver,before installing rest of the driver.

To get the rest of the drivers,log onto www.support.dell.com,click Drivers and Downloads,Enter system service tag or choose system model and than choose the correct operating system to get the list of drivers.

Hope this helps,

Thank You

Roshan

2 Posts

December 21st, 2017 22:00

How do I download the drivers to another computer (since the E6420 no longer has wireless)?  I tried the Dell download page, but it does nothing when I try to download the driver, and instead keeps asking me to load some kind of analysis tool to the other computer.  

None of this seems to work and now the E5420 is apparently only a non-web connected notepad.

Grrrr......

No Events found!