Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 13th, 2013 22:00

Latitude E6420 won't turn on

Hi all,
I have a Latitude E6420 that won't power up. When I press the power button the laptop starts running but nothing loads on the screen, the fan is spinning at full speed for 10 sec. and then the entire laptop shut down. So far I tested the ram, power brick, and the hdd and they work just fine... Maybe is the motherboard? Or the cpu? Any other suggestions guys?
And since my english is sooo good here's a video of the problem I'm having

Thanks!

1 Message

February 25th, 2014 06:00

I have been experiencing this with a E6420 at my work.   Heard that it may also be related to the LCD cable that goes through the hinge.   I tapped the hinges while it was off, opened the screen and started it up.  Not a solid fix, but may allow you to get to your data to backup if need be. 

1.8K Posts

March 13th, 2013 22:00

Hi johen,

Do you hear Windows sound when you power on the computer? 

You may drain out the residual power and then try using the system:

• Power off your computer.
  • Please remove the AC adaptor and battery of your computer.
  • Press and hold the power button of your computer for 10-15 seconds to drain out the residual power.
  • Release the power button.
  • Insert the battery in and connect the AC adaptor.
  • Then try powering on the computer. 

Another step you may try is to check if the computer works perfectly fine with external monitor. You may also check the status of diagnostic LED's on your computer. 

Diagnostic LED Fault Description 
Hard drive LED 
Power LED
Wireless LED
Blinking
Solid
Solid
A possible processor failure has occurred.
Solid
Blinking
Solid
The memory modules are detected but has encountered an error.
Blinking
Blinking
Blinking
A system board failure has occurred.
Blinking
Blinking
Solid
A possible graphics card/video failure has occurred.
Blinking
Blinking
Off
System failed on hard drive initialization OR System failed in Option ROM initialization.
Blinking
Off
Blinking
The USB controller encountered a problem during initialization.
Solid
Blinking
Blinking
No memory modules are installed/detected.
Blinking
Solid
Blinking
The LCD encountered a problem during initialization.
Off
Blinking
Blinking
The modem is preventing the system from completing POST.
Off
Blinking
Off
Memory failed to initialize or memory is unsupported.

Please share the findings. 

2 Posts

March 14th, 2013 06:00

Hello DELL-Chinmay S

Ive already check the battery, ram, hdd. I also remove the bios battery to reset is and there is no signal to external display.

1 Message

March 14th, 2013 17:00

This happened to mine in Jan. Laptop was returned to dell. They were not able to fix it.  As it was under extended warrenty, they ended up replacing it.

1.8K Posts

March 19th, 2013 05:00

Hi johen,

Did you check the status of the diagnostic LED's as mentioned in previous post?

Most likely it appears to be an issue with motherboard of your computer. If the computer is under warranty, you may private message me the service tag of your computer. I have added you as a friend. Please accept my friend request by clicking on my name highlighted in blue and then click on “Friends” tab at the top and then click on “Request to Review” and finally click on “Accept” button.

I am sending you a private message as well. Click on “Inbox” to respond to the message and provide system’s Service Tag and contact details so I may access your system records and check for further course of action. You could also click on Start Conversation to send a private message.

Please reply with information. 

1 Message

February 16th, 2014 05:00

i have just experience this with my DEL, i follow the suggestion to drain the remaining power and then plug the battery in again and AC then power up. still nothing on the screen, but the LED indicators was SOLID - BLANK - SOLID for a while, then became BLINK - BLANK - SOLID.. ?? i'm confused on what to do, i was still working on it last Saturday, and haven't used it for the whole day, and in about 24 hours later this happen.

1 Message

November 4th, 2015 09:00

this worked for me.  My question is: why is this happening? Is this a bad battery? Do I need to purchase a new battery?  Is it a bad power supply?  Mother board?  How do I keep this from recurring?

1 Message

November 6th, 2015 01:00

My hard drive led is solid yet the other two blink after I try to turn on my computer. Therefore it is because my ram is installed incorrectly(I took it out because I read somewhere that it the memory may be a cause to why Windows won't run but that is just another problem with another solution). However I am certain that I put them back in correctly I am not sure any other way to do it. Is this problem fixable?

1 Message

November 6th, 2015 03:00

Hello Chinmay,

My Dell latitude e6420 series wont boot pass the blinking cursor. before now when I am using it to work the keyboard would just stop with then I have to remove battery and wait for a couple to seconds then insert and put on it would then work..i got frustrated and decided to update the window software after it completely installed and restarted for me to enter my password the keyboard stopped working again, I then remove battery for a couple of second when I inserted the battery back it load up to the blinking cursor and stop. I have ran the diagnostics test everything seems perfect but it wont boot pass that cursor.

I need urgent help because I need to deliver a report that is due already 2 days  now.  

No Events found!