Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 3rd, 2012 04:00

Latitude E6430 BIOS Downgrade

Hi Everyone!

Last weekend I downloaded the new BIOS version A06 for my Latitude E6430 from Dell's driver site. Installed it and most everything works fine, but when the laptop is connected to the docking station the external monitor doesn't show any boot screen until windows begins to load. So the pre-boot login screen isn't visible to me :emotion-6:

A day later version A06 wasn't available on the dell site but A03 release again. Tried to downgrade vom A06 to A06 in order to solve my PBA problem, but the firmware doesn't install on my system. This is the error message I receive: "Firmware Downgrading blocked: Security features are enabled".

Is there any way to downgrade BIOS without changing the mainboard?!?

Thank you for your help!

Stargoose

October 17th, 2012 13:00

Hi 6430,

Thank you for the valuable inputs; We are working on the issue. Will keep you posted.

October 18th, 2012 08:00

Hi 6430,

As the laptop is shutting down randomly, it may not be a BIOS related issue. Though I also realize that you started experiencing problems after flashing BIOS version A06; However, I still recommend checking the computer to isolate this as a possible hardware failure. Please try the following diagnostic steps:

Let it stay on the BIOS screen and check results
- Power off the laptop
- Power it back on and repeatedly tap < F2 > as Dell logo appears (Repeat the steps if Windows logo is observed)
- Allow the computer to stay on BIOS screen and check if it shuts down

We are still working to find a resolution for BIOS downgrade. Please perform these steps in the mean while and reply with the findings. Glad to assist.

1.8K Posts

October 22nd, 2012 15:00

Hi,

This is on behalf of Saurabh. Please share the status of your computer in system BIOS.

I have added you as a friend. Please accept my friend request by clicking on my name highlighted in blue and then click on “Friends” tab at the top and then click on “Request to Review” and finally click on “Accept” button.

I am sending you a private message as well. Click on “Inbox” to respond to the message and provide system’s Service Tag and contact details so I may access your system records and check for further course of action. You could also click on Start Conversation to send a private message.

I have forwarded the details to the ‘Product Group’ team so that the correct BIOS can be updated. In order to resolve your issue quickly I would request you to private message me the ‘Service Tag’ of your computer.

Please reply with information.

17 Posts

November 6th, 2012 22:00

Last weekend I decided to try out new Windows 8. The Dell hotline told me that in order to run the OS the latest BIOS version (whis currently is A07) must be installed first. So I upgraded from A03 to A07.

Finally I reinstalled Windows 7 because Win 8 brought me several software problems. Followed exactly Dell's installation manual for downgrading BIOS to A03 but again the installation failed: "Firmware Downgrading blocked: Security features are enabled" :-(

November 7th, 2012 23:00

Hi,

Dell does not recommend downgrading BIOS for optimal system performance. I would like to know if you are facing any issues with A07 BIOS version in Windows 7. It is not imperative to change BIOS to a lower version when migrating to 'Windows 7'. A07 version is the latest compatible update and should work effectively with 'Windows 7' also.

Let me research on the reason why you were not able to downgrade BIOS to version A03; will update you shortly. Do reply if you have any further questions. I would be glad to assist.

17 Posts

November 7th, 2012 23:00

Hi,

since I updated to version A07, the fan is running most of the time which he wasn't before. Because that's really annoying I want to downgrade back to A03. Please could you help me with that?

Thank you!

November 8th, 2012 00:00

Hi,

I understand it can be annoying to be in such a situation. You referred to a Dell manual for installation instructions on downgrading BIOS; just wanted to confirm if you performed the following steps:

- Reset BIOS to factory defaults
- Disable Secure boot
- Disable Computrace

Try performing these troubleshooting steps if not tried already. Please share the link/information (Dell manual) that you referred to. Do reply with the results, so that we may take it forward.

17 Posts

November 8th, 2012 00:00

I already reseted the BIOS factory defaults and removed the computrace agent (assisted by the absolute support team, they already confirmed that the removal was successful). Secure boot isn't enabled because i'm running the laptop in legacy mode.

These steps are also described in the installation instructions on the dell download page: www.dell.com/.../latitude-e6430

November 9th, 2012 21:00

Hi,

Thank you for your update.

I am replying on behalf of Dell_Saurabh_A. We are still looking into the issue and will keep you updated.

Please reply for any further questions. 

November 12th, 2012 23:00

Hi,

Apologies for taking longer than expected. We are still researching on the issue. Will update you within 2 - 3 business days.

November 14th, 2012 03:00

Hi,

I found that another Dell representative 'DELL-Chinmay S' is working with you on a Latitude e6430 laptop when used with a docking station: http://dell.to/RX76k5
Would like to know if it is the same system that we are working on? Or is it a different unit? Was wondering if both issues have any relationship.

17 Posts

November 14th, 2012 04:00

Hello,

it's the same unit. Have you already found a way to downgrade the BIOS?

6 Posts

November 14th, 2012 14:00

All,

I'm back again, this time with a slightly different issue.  I was never able to downgrade from A06 to A03.  My computer is still crashing at almost exactly 30min every time I turn it on.  However, I now see that A07 is available...

I have tried everything imaginable to upgrade to A07, including running cmd as an Administrator, and running the A07 .exe file from a bootable DOS USB.  Whenever I run the A07 exe file, I see the first few windows (i.e. 'Are you sure you want to upgrade your BIOS?', and the window telling me I currently have A06 and will be upgrading to A07).  Then there is a message saying the progam is running, and that my machine will reboot.  However, upon reboot, my BIOS has not been upgraded.

I have tried the above sequence with the A03 version as well, with no luck.

I have tried everything listed in this forum (making sure I have BIOS security settings off, blah, blah), and everything I can find online.  I'm starting to wonder if my BIOS is not changable anymore (thanks to the A06 'upgrade').

Is there anyone on this forum (Dell employee or otherwise) who can offer actual solutions to this problem?  And, hopefully in less than a week?  I have a very expensive laptop that has not worked properly since I changed to A06, and I still haven't heard anything of value from Dell on a way to fix it.

Thanks for any guidance you can offer...

6 Posts

November 16th, 2012 10:00

Also, to verify, I have tried starting the computer, using F2 to enter Setup, then waiting to see if the computer crashes at 30min.  The computer does in fact crash when in the Setup menu.  I believe an earlier suggestion was to check this to make sure it wasn't a driver issue causing the crashes.

November 17th, 2012 00:00

Hi 6430,

Thank you for the valuable input. Since the laptop is crashing even in BIOS setup, it appears to be a hardware issue. We may have to replace the motherboard, heat sink and fan assembly as all these are possible points of failure. (Depending on warranty status); The issue may also get fixed with a new BIOS release/downgrade.

Another forum member (Stargoose) is facing a BIOS downgrade issue with the same system model. We have escalated the case to the engineering team and are expecting a response. Will update you soon about the developments.

Do reply if you have any further questions. Glad to assist.

No Events found!