Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 2nd, 2016 13:00

Latitude E6430 Not Charging

I have a Latitude E6430 that isn't charging. When I plug it in, the battery indicator lights up for a few seconds, but then goes out. The battery wont charge off of the built in port or through the docking station. I have a Dell 90 watt power adapter, but I have also tried a 130 watt one; neither work. It runs quite happily off of the adapter, but won't charge.

I updated the BIOS to A18. Is this an issue with my main board?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

July 2nd, 2016 14:00

Check system setup (F2 at powerup).  Does the system sense the AC adapter correctly, or does it show unknown?  If unknown, the system will run but the battery will not charge.

In that case, since you've already tried a new adapter to no effect, the next possibility is a bad DC jack:

www.parts-people.com/index.php

If replacing that doesn't solve the problem, it is a faulty mainboard.

2 Intern

• 

20.1K Posts

July 2nd, 2016 15:00

How old is the battery? It might need to be replaced. 

6 Posts

July 2nd, 2016 17:00

Under Battery Information, it shows 90w

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

July 3rd, 2016 04:00

If the adapter is recognized but the battery only partially charges -- it's time to replace the battery.

79 Posts

July 3rd, 2016 10:00

some newer dells will not recognize an aftermarket charger only a genuine dell charger . 

6 Posts

July 3rd, 2016 14:00

So I'm dumb--I forgot I set the battery configuration to "Primarily AC Use," turning that off fixed it. My AC jack is a little bit loose, is that possible to fix? Or do I just have to be very careful?

2K Posts

July 3rd, 2016 18:00

Hi KB3WMH,

Glad to managed to resolve the battery issue. 

Restart the system and press f2 key to enter BIOS - check the adapter status in BIOS with and without the adapter plugged in. Also, wiggle the adapter cable at the end and see if the status changes in BIOS at any point. 

The dc port if its loose, the adapter then would fall off easily when connected to the system and you might need to set it to a certain angle for it to charge - if this is the case, then the dc port is definitely loose and would need to be replaced.

If there is no warranty, then you could contact our team to get a quote for a paid service call - http://dell.to/1vnT6CQ

If you choose to replace the parts yourself, then you would need this part - http://bit.ly/29cr9sF

Write me a private conversation with the service tag and your contact details(Name and Email) for case records.

Let us know if you have any other queries.

No Events found!