Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

W

December 3rd, 2017 15:00

Latitude E6430 Signed BIOS Update

How can I do an update of the bios from A13 to A21 with "Signed Firmware Update is enabled"?

I tried the update in Windows 10 and DOS with nearly all bios versions - but after the reboot the bios update will not be performed.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

December 3rd, 2017 19:00

Is there a particular error being reported during the update process, or does it not even attempt to run?  Do you have an admin password set in the BIOS?

December 9th, 2017 02:00

Hi jphughan,

sorry for the late answer.

Everything runs normally - extraction and preparation for the update.

Then the laptop is doing the restart and normally at this moment the laptop will do the real firmware update.

But no firmware update - only a normal restart.

I found a post for the E6420 - they say there should be installed an special old version and then it's possible to update to the newest one.

But I found no information for den E6430.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

December 9th, 2017 06:00

Usually when you have to update to an “intermediate” version rather than going directly to the latest release, Dell shows both of those in the downloads page. However, even if that isn’t made clear, if you show the details of the download for the latest release, you might see a small “See older versions” option. If so, download all of the releases between what your system is running now and the latest release, then step through them. It might be tedious to go through each one, and I guess you could always try going straight to the latest releases after installing one of the older updates, but it should get you to the latest release eventually.

If you can’t get ANY updates to install and you don’t have a BIOS admin password set as I asked about above, then I don’t have any other immediate suggestions.

4 Operator

• 

754 Posts

December 11th, 2017 03:00

Hi Walter,

You may need to install a transitional update first:

www.dell.com/.../how-to-resolve-a-signed-bios-firmware-message-on-a-dell-latitude--precision-or-optiplex-system

Let us know how you get on.

December 11th, 2017 14:00

Hi Alasdair,

I found this page too.

But the information is for the older generation.

Mine is a E6430 - the site stops at the E6420.

But I've tried every bios now with always the same result.

So I think I have to stop now.

Thanks for your help guys.

No Events found!