Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 4th, 2015 22:00

Latitude E6440 display blink when connect to external monitor via hdmi to VGA converter

Hi Dell Community,

Please help me to diagnose what is wrong with my new laptop.

My Laptop is Dell Latitude E6440 but every time i connect external monitor to my laptop HDMI port via HDMI to VGA converter, the external monitor always blink randomly every couple of seconds. This HDMI to VGA converter is working fine when i used it to other laptop.

Currently i still don't have chance to try my laptop HDMI port to connect directly to HDMI monitor because i don't have it.

Are there anybody have the same problem with me? thanks for your help.

3 Posts

July 21st, 2016 06:00

Dell is currently manufacturing main board replacements to fix this issue. They will be available at the end of July. Please make sure you have a current support subscription and contact support to be eligible for the replacement. 

9.4K Posts

May 5th, 2015 07:00

Hi M. Zemmy Indrapatih,

Thanks for your post.

Sorry you are having difficulties with your laptop and monitor.  If you could send me the name and model cable adapter you are using and the name and model of the monitor,  I might be better able to understand the issue.  Thanks

Regards,
Robert

14 Posts

May 5th, 2015 15:00

What's the other laptop model? What VGA monitor are you connecting to?

You are best getting a new monitor with HDMI connector.

As you noticed, a HDMI to VGA converter has to convert the digital signal to analog. It may not work with all equipment. 

2 Posts

August 21st, 2015 13:00

Hi Robert,

I thought I might jump in here, as I am having the same issues as Zemmy. At work I was issued an e6440, and had the same problem.  The IT department swapped it out with another of the same model, new cables etc... and the problem has not gone away.

Updated windows etc...

It would seem that it is a hardware issue.

Any Insight on how to fix?

B

August 28th, 2015 15:00

Hi,

I'm running into the same problem here. VGA seems to work fine but when I use an HDMI for an extended desktop, the Monitor will start flickering on and off. This seems to only happen when the laptop is connected to a charger. 

We are running Latitude e6440s and it is a problem for more than 1 device. 

A solution to this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

September 3rd, 2015 01:00

Dear all

I'm also having a E6440 where the display starts flickering are being in use for some minutes. It only happen if I connect via HDMI and it happens on two different displays.

2 Posts

September 17th, 2015 18:00

Have you tried adapting hdmi to dvi. I haven't tried this yet but don't want to spend the $$$'s if it doesnt solve the problem.

October 2nd, 2015 00:00

Thanks for the hint to use HDMI (laptop) to DVI (display) adapter. It works neither. Yesterday Dell changed my motherboard. Still the same issue.

2 Posts

October 4th, 2015 15:00

Hey All,

I've noted something that seems to work pretty well.

• The HDMI output blinks when the laptop is fully charged, with the AC power plugged in.
  • Unplug the AC adapter, and the display stops blinking.
  • When the battery is drained, & AC is plugged in, the screen does not blink.
  • When the battery is fully charged, the display begins to blink again....

I've been able to use this as an interim solution, (unplugging the power from the back of the machine, and plugging it back in back in a few times during the day)... until Dell figures it out.

October 4th, 2015 19:00

Hmm... i will try this solution..  :D   But if this works, too bad its still not fix the problem.   :(
Do you think this is hardware issue or software issue?
Does anyone have tried to test it on different OS? Like windows 7/Windows 8 or Windows 10?

1 Message

October 19th, 2015 09:00

To add to this, another interim solution is to remove the battery from the laptop if you can leave the laptop plugged in all the time.  I wish Dell would figure this out.  I manage 14 of these machines.  

3 Posts

November 10th, 2015 10:00

Gentlemen, any news on the subject?...  Is DELL pursuing this annoying and nasty issue?...

I have to constantly unplug and plug the power into the laptop to avoid flickering issues with an HDMI monitor.  Is there some sort of utility to limit the battery from charging to a 100%?...  I mean, if the battery stayed at 98% charge, the problem would be solved...

Anyone there listening?...

3 Posts

November 10th, 2015 14:00

Think I Got It...

Download from DELL the DELL Command Power Manager.  Run. Under Battery Information > Settings, chose Primarily AC Use...

And the battery never charges fully, so you never see 100% and the flickering stops :)

2 Posts

November 11th, 2015 16:00

This is my Power Management screen but I am confused as to what I am setting

2 Posts

December 31st, 2015 01:00

Dell 6440:

• Bios A13,
  • Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600,
  • AMD Radeon HD 8690M.

This solutions can'l solve problem in a general case.

Change charge mode and in this work day - all ok. OFF notebook and in a few hours later ON it for work - and HDMI connection with problems again.

Some test cases:

• Primarily AC Use: problem
  • Custom mode: 50% start ...90% stop charge (~70% charged level) - problem
  • Express mode: problem

Some correlation from time after ON:

• ~ 1....15 min - often (up 3..5 mins between re-connection HDMI)
  • ~ 15.....30 min - rare (up to 10 mins between re-connections)
  • In charging state (while charge lelev less than 100% ) - no problem, after 100% - again problem
No Events found!